Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black paint blackouts of a 1973

Some pics coming soon of an original 20K mile Light Ivory 73 so very easy to see the change. I don't think it had anything to do with cost saving because it's a small difference in paint amount. I do like the engine bay in body color but prefer the wheel wells in black.
    72S, 72T now ST

From an original RS

Name:  IMG_8857.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  109.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_8858.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  82.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_8859.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  107.2 KB
    first ride - 10 yrs old in a 73 911S - Silver - I was done for
    Started 'playing' with them in the late 80s
    Started racing a 72 911 T built to 2.9L RSR in SoCal SCCA, PCA, POC early 90s
    Have owned over 50 long hoods from late 80s until 2000
    dropped out from 2000 - 2018 - due to life, work, travel
    Been building a 2.8 'RSR' inspired car since 2018 - 9111121235
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1121235-a.html

Must be a very late RS as they never had that much body deadener and I didn't see black paint on my original 1st series RS
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

These pictures are from a 20K mile original paint 73T.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    72S, 72T now ST

Something happened to that car , I have never seen that much black paint on the floor and high on the rockers on a '73 . Someone repainted the black or there was a new apprentice that day at the factory .
    Not a good example .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Something happened to that car , I have never seen that much black paint on the floor and high on the rockers on a '73 . Someone repainted the black or there was a new apprentice that day at the factory .
    Not a good example .
    Richy - which car are you referring to?
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

One owner rust and accident free 20K car so I don't know why you think something happened. This black was hand brushed on at the factory so I assume none are exactly the same.
    72S, 72T now ST

The black high up on the rocker could possibly be dirt and staining. Scott, did you guys notice any variation once the lower portion of the outer rocker was cleaned?

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Yes, obviously the rockers have dirt on them. The car is now Glacier Blue and we didn't put black on the rockers. The key is to copy how the black line below the rockers and into the wheel wheels goes on a 73. I personally much prefer all blacked out wheel wells. Another reason I like 72's more! Haha
    72S, 72T now ST

Something happened to the 20K car , simple answer , it's had a life and lost some originality . Why do I see 2 different glosses of black paint ? and I have never seen the 25mm plastic plugs in the rockers painted black , and there is still the black on the floor issue .
    I'll stay with my original statement , a poor example .