Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-heat hose on MFI - Inner and outer?

Pre-heat hose on MFI - Inner and outer?

I have a 1969 E with the MFI. I need to replace the air hose that runs from the MFI down trough the left engine pan, which connects to the exhaust (I believe).

the PET indicate I need an Inner ( 901.110.295.00) and Outer (PCG.110.296.00) hoses here.

Can anyone please tell me why there needs to be two hoses? Is it because the diameter at the MFI fitting is 28mm and the fitting at the engine pan is 35mm?

Would I just slide one hose into the other?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 08-28-2022 at 03:25 PM.

member #1515
    I don't ask why, it just takes both. The inner is sort of paper and the outer is black and shiny. Only the inner gets attached at the pump, (as far as I know). Wait for Ed to pitch in before confirming.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I don't ask why, it just takes both. The inner is sort of paper and the outer is black and shiny. Only the inner gets attached at the pump, (as far as I know). Wait for Ed to pitch in before confirming.
    I’ve always assumed that the outer was for insulation. Same as found on my ‘72.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

2 hoses , the outer hose is for insulation . Only the inner hose gets clamped to the MFI pump and engine tin , a detail that is often incorrect .

All the above is absolutely correct!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    2 hoses , the outer hose is for insulation . Only the inner hose gets clamped to the MFI pump and engine tin , a detail that is often incorrect .
    I learn something new every day here!
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Wrong or not, I’ve found the inner paper/foil hose to be very fragile and tear easily, so I always clamp both hoses as the outer paper/plastic hose is more robust and holds up to remove and install year after year, like 20+ years.

Wrong or not, I’ve found the inner paper/foil hose to be very fragile and tear easily, so I always clamp both hoses as the outer paper/plastic hose is more robust and holds up to remove and install year after year, like 20+ years.
    + 1 Gordon

Also, my engine's smooth running is VERY dependent on those clamps being tight...
    If they loosen, (because of me messing around... ) I know it as soon as I start it ....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Anyone have a source for the proper hoses? I have purchased a couple of "inner hose" from a couple of the usual vendors, both were too large diameter and did not fit the pump well.

Gary Cox
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

1958 356A Speedster, Silver/Black
    1967 912, Aga Blue/Black

I think I have a spare. PM me with your email I’ll send you pictures and
    more detail
    Quote Originally Posted by garycox View Post
    Anyone have a source for the proper hoses? I have purchased a couple of "inner hose" from a couple of the usual vendors, both were too large diameter and did not fit the pump well.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress