Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Window Opening How-To

Soft Window Opening How-To

I couldn't find a good thread on opening the soft window on a SWT. I unzipped mine yesterday and folded it down and snapped the tonneau cover over it. Is that correct? Or is the soft window portion mean to be removed altogether and then put back on?

I did notice after being folded down for an hour or so, there's a slight indent in the middle of the vinyl soft window. I'm sure it will go away now that it's zipped back up.

But I'd love some detailed instructions on putting the soft window down and up and using the tonneau cover. Thanks!
    '67 911 SWT - 500634

its not to be removed, be sure to put a soft cloth/towel down first for the window to lay on, and the put a soft cloth on top of the window before putting tonneau on, if you don't do this the window is subject to abrasion while motoring at speed. The window will last for years if handled properly.
    registry #2072

Great question for over here!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It's shocking, I not only couldn't find a video or photos of how to do it, but I couldn't even find a written description until here!
    '67 911 SWT - 500634

You can see here the slight line across the clear vinyl from folding it down yesterday. I think it will come out with a little sunshine but want to be able to put the soft window regularly without damaging it.

Name:  IMG_20220821_102115.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  193.1 KB
    '67 911 SWT - 500634

I have never folded mine. Targa supplement shows just lay it in.
    registry #2072

Quote Originally Posted by jim amato View Post
    I have never folded mine. Targa supplement shows just lay it in.
    But isn't that the whole fun of the soft window!!?
    '67 911 SWT - 500634

My experience has been that the wrinkles and other minor fit imperfections will vary with the weather (temp/sunlight) alone. As Jim Amato writes, just lay it in between soft layers, and don't fold. Keep the zipper clean and lightly lubricated. It is not strictly necessary, but nearly all work with the top and rear window of the targa are easier with two people involved.

Make sure to undo the release levers before unzipping and rezipping or you will pull apart the zipper.

~J~
    air cooled only

Are there diagrams in the original manual on how to?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    Make sure to undo the release levers before unzipping and rezipping or you will pull apart the zipper.
    '67 911 SWT - 500634