Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum finned 100mm Blau gas cap feeler

Aluminum finned 100mm Blau gas cap feeler

Konnichiwa Porsche amigos,
    Quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to buy an original aluminum finned 100mm Blau gas cap. The price was high. I hesitated and missed out. That indecision has haunted me ever since.
    Even if you don’t have a center fill set up like a 911R you might have an RSR or ST inspired car with a competition gas tank. Both could use this type of Blau cap. I think an A or pre A 356 could use one too.
    If you use one of these caps it’s probably a steel version. Aluminum looks SO much better than the steel. I'm told long ago they would pop up from time to time. Nowadays, they are nearly impossible to find.

Vintage Porsche restoration expert Nate Cantwell and I are exploring re-creating this Blau cap. He has a metal fabricator in mind to create the tooling needed.

No idea what the price would be yet and exact profile of the fin is yet to be determined.

Are there any folks here that would be interested?
    Post a response if you are. The photos below are originals from Armando Serrano‘s website.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 08-15-2022 at 05:39 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

If you talk to blau - they still make the caps in steel and might be able to make a batch in alu so you just need to add the fins. And the fins are avaialble at least in germany

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    If you talk to blau - they still make the caps in steel and might be able to make a batch in alu so you just need to add the fins. And the fins are avaialble at least in germany
    IF YOU ORDER 50,000 PCS been there long ago , and now I doubt it , due to the fuel prices they are busy making cap with locks :-)

Thanks Uai, but, i’ve stopped depending on faceless apathetic companies who don’t have any interest. Using a small team where everyone knows each other and can contact each other without delay is a far better way to proceed.
    We have everything we need to make these on our own.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Hi Mark,

Do you know the weight of the aluminum version versus the steel version?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Hi Bert,
    A steel cap with the 2-part aluminum fin epoxied on is 9.3 oz. I don't know what an aluminum version weighs.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Hi Mark, thanks for taking on this project. I’m interested in one.

Thanks,
    Rick

Hi Mark,

I would be interest in one or two.

A few years ago I spoke with Blau and they want 10,000 units to do ally.

I took the long road recently, expensive ingredients. Lots of tap tap tap with my Proto.

Give my best to Nate!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

I'd buy one to hang on my wall in the office or shop.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

I`d be interested in one.