Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this your missing transaxle?

Is this your missing transaxle?

This is my first post, though I've been an occasional lurker for years.
    Many years ago I bought a Porsche 911 transaxle on Ebay. I got it really cheap, but no other bidders. Recently getting close to getting my car running I looked again: Someone ground off the ID numbers.
    Wow. Do you suppose it is stolen? I've been a victim myself, though around here recently Porsche parts are sold for scrap by "urban miners". yeah, tweekers. Recent story of a 912 for sale where the shop closed and lost his parts got me thinking...
    It really saddens me to think my gain is at another enthusiasts misfortune. So Here's what i propose: Prove it was yours and ill return it. FOB IOWA. That's right, You pay the return shipping. I'm not seeking a reward but would not refuse it.
    To PROVE IT WAS YOURS: send me the details of your loss and the description. Kardex would be the best.
    I know a LOT about identifying stuff and a LITTLE about how and when I got it.
    The serial number is mostly obscured but perhaps some digits are readable. I believe forensic work MAY be able to raise the numbers. if there are multiple claimants we may be able to raise the number.
    I'll give you one clue: I got it over 15 years ago.
    Al Brase

Post a photo of the serial #. If nothing else, photos would help identify the basic model.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

The serial number is GROUND OFF, mostly. Which leads me to believe it might be stolen. I'm trying to get it to its rightful owner. If someone lost one many years ago, they need to describe it to me. Sorry, I posted this in the cars for sale.

There are so many variations for porsche transmissions that you need to post some pictures to tell what year and model it’s

901 early or late.
    4spd 5 spd
    Alu or mag
    911 (69-71)
    4 or 5 spd
    915 (72 - up)
    Alu or mag
    4 or 5 spd

Etc etc

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

The serial and type numbers on 915 transmissions are often ground off just through normal use, since they are stamped on the lowest point on the transmission case. Nothing nefarious there. But there are several other types of Porsche transmissions beyond 915. A couple photos of what you have would identify the transmission type.

Without the numbers there will be no positive identification of missing/stolen/sold.

Probably have to have more posts before you can put up pictures. But you can host them somewhere else and post a link.
    Last edited by Eminence Gris; 08-10-2022 at 02:35 PM.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Probably have to have more posts before you can put up pictures. But you can host them somewhere else and post a link.
    Photos can be posted from one's first post onwards. Let us know if you need help.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    There are so many variations for porsche transmissions that you need to post some pictures to tell what year and model it’s

901 early or late.
    4spd 5 spd
    Alu or mag
    911 (69-71)
    4 or 5 spd
    915 (72 - up)
    Alu or mag
    4 or 5 spd

Etc etc

Richard
    I am so sorry that I was unclear about this!
    FWIW, I know QUITE A BIT about transmissions and identifying them. I know EXACTLY what I have.
    I am offering to GIVE AWAY a Porsche transaxle, hopefully to the victim of a theft or storage loss. Hopefully the RIGHTFUL previous owner.
    In order to ascertain that the person is the correct recipient, THEY have to prove to me what they are missing.
    ANY details will help: Exact serial and or/ date code OR assembly date of the vehicle will establish withing a month or so whether this is your gearbox. WHERE and WHEN it was lost will go a ways to help me sort it out.
    I'm not going to put up a picture. The victim needs to put up the picture. (Very small chance or that, but on never knows, careful restorers always did document with photos!)

Such a strange thread.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

As said above with lowered cars the number is often ground off just by driving over a curb

Restoration newbie.
    How do we contact you? It looks like you're not enabled for PMs, can you add your email to your profile? It won't expose it to other users, but we'll be able to contact you using the board.

- andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]