Thread: 1969 s oil cooler replacements?

1969 s oil cooler replacements?

Well, just got the call from Pacific Oil Coolers that the front fender cooler in my '69S was Red Tagged (no good). So what do you do if you don't want to spend $2,500 for the aftermarket one. Any kits available that fit in the original place with the original sheet metal. Sorry, I'm not very good with this search engine.
    Bob B

Hi, Bob:

When faced with the same dilemma on my ‘69S I purchased a new front cooler from Elephant Racing…it fits and works fine.

Good luck,
    Alan
    N.J.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

I bought a new one from Porsche. It drops in exactly with not fiddling and looks similar but not exact. Sunset has them for $1500. Your stone guard will work with it too.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...er-90110704603
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Well, here is what all of the front fender oil coolers are going to end up looking like sooner or later. This one had been sitting in the car (70,000 miles) in my garage since 1975. Pacific Oil Coolers said there were many leaks besides these huge holes.
    BTW, they will build you a replacement cooler for $2,475, P/N 8001997. The salesman (Wayne, 1 800-866-7335) showed me a picture of one on their web site, and it looked VERY substantial, but I was not able to find that pic when I got home. I asked him to just show me one, but he said it was strictly a build to order part, and it took 30 days to fabricate.
    Also including a picture of my oil tank they cleaned. Looks very nice, $225.
    Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  83.7 KB
    Name:  Picture 003.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  77.3 KB

If you are willing to go aftermarket, this is a reputable source and very much cheaper than Porsche. https://patrickmotorsports.com/produ...91110704600pms
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Here are Pics of the new cooler ($1500) from Porsche we ended up with on our 69S to replace what was there. If nothing else it's a direct bolt on for the old one.

Name:  Cooler.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  Cooler2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  79.8 KB
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Here’s a photo of the oil cooler kit from Elephant Racing…not an exact copy of the factory unit but it’s hidden behind the stone guard and it’s much cheaper than the new Porsche unit:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

There's nothing wrong with the Elephant one other than you will have to do some welding to make the mounts work. For that price I'd go with the Porsche one that looks damn good for the price. It will bolt right up saving fabrication time, and accept the original hoses, and that is worth something. I don't see a way to use the original louvered plate with the Patrick cooler. That plate is not just a stone guard! The louvers along with air flow in the wheel well help draw air thru the cooler, and don't let the air go anywhere but THRU the cooler. That plate is a big part of what makes the original system work!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Wow, thanks so much for the input guys. So now I have to decide which way to go. The new Porsche unit looks good! Scott, is that the price at Sunset, or did you source it at your local dealer?
    Thank you again for the replies!
    Bob B

We ordered it from Sunset as they are good to work with and they shipped it to CT. Not sure if my local dealer would match as haven't dealt with them.

Scott
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757