Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joseph Siffert Automobiles decals

Some More Things . . .

. . .

• The inside of the bottom of the 'U's --- as well as the insides of all the 'B's and 'O's . . . are sharp/chamfered quadrangles . . . not 'D'-shaped or 'rounded-off' in any way
    • The arms on the lower-case 'R's and the dots on the 'I's are the same size on their respective letter sets

This should also simplify your artwork --- as well as the printer's task

HtH

PS You might wanna consider making some 'clings,' too . . . to stick on the inside of window glass

We Can Be Heroes

I'm not sure I one hundred percent agree with you Rick but its really impossible to know for certain... I think you're probably the most invested (emotionally) in this so I'll give you the bulk of your observations... I think this is the best I can do.
    One more thing, Rick... how wide do you think the small/more simple version should be? It looks to me to be between 4 and 5 inches.

Next would be to take the revised art and adapt it to the more complex version... Later gator
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 07-07-2022 at 04:12 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    . . . how wide do you think the small/more simple version should be? It looks to me to be between 4 and 5 inches . . .
    Hey, Mark . . .

Yeah --- I think this decal is very small . . . maybe ~100 mm wide x ~25 mm tall?

IMO, those proportions are critical

I think the 'Siffert' needs to be a bit more-finely drawn --- it is, after all, the only part that's really readable . . . thinner white + thinner outlines. And those 2nd + 3rd lines are already very thin + highly stylized, anyway --- + severely compacted vertically . . . I doubt they're even legible more than 5 feet away

And I think that may 've been the intent of the decal to begin with --- to discretely show the 'Siffert' . . . then to draw one in for a closer look

Think of the small decal as less an 'advertisement' . . .

. . . and more a 'signature'

We Can Be Heroes

Sorry Rick... its as good as I can get it.
    I think it looks pretty F-ing awesome.
    If we can find a better original image... I'd take another go at it.
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 07-07-2022 at 04:28 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    . . . think it looks pretty F-ing awesome . . .
    Me, too, Mark . . .

. . . thanks for all your hard work!

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Now we're talking!

K --- here goes . . .

I believe your interpretation of the lettering is spot-on = Siffert | Automobiles | Freibourg

The lettering is highly stylized --- I could not find this font reproduced anywhere . . . so it's probably unique

The 'Siffert' on the top line looks mostly correct -- the lettering perhaps fractionally a bit fat . . . more noticeable in the white

The letters for 'Automobiles' + 'Freibourg' are IMO too thick --- perhaps a 50% . . . though the relative proportions look good, I think the lettering is even more compacted vertically

Anyway, very exciting to see your efforts on this --- great work!

Curious if there are any periodicals or other advertising from the period that show this

Its most likely always „Fribourg“ and never „Freiburg“.

Fribourg is the french word and Freiburg is the german word for the same swiss town, where both languages are spoken and officially in use.
    Although Siffert‘s mother tongue was swiss-german (a dialect of german, swiss-germans automaticially speak german) and in Fribourg a minority, he also spoke french and which the majority speaks in Fribourg.
    As seen on his shop and the „red backround“ decal, he used „Fribourg“, ie french style and language for all his ads and communication.
    It was often said Siffert grew out of modest backround and in Fribourg it was generally the swiss-german population being so, as the french speaking held clerical/economic and aristrocratic/goverment posts..heritage of the middle-ages of this largely catholic town and were, the swiss-germans as minority were usually protestants while the french speaking majority were always catholic.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . most likely always „Fribourg“ and never „Freiburg“. . .
    You're exactly right, Karim . . .

. . . good catch!

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes