Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator replacement

Alternator replacement

Hello all,
    Is there a preferred manufacturer or vendor for a remaned or new alternator for a 69E?
    I have been searching and found complaints concerning remaned Bosch units. According to reviews I read Bosch units did not fit without machining the fan housing.
    Thanks,
    Charlie

have yours rebuilt locally

Turn around is not very speedy these days and it's driving weather in New England.
    Wanted new and later this one as spare, thanks.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Veleo with internal regulator for a driver. I gave up on rebuilds with lousy external regulators. Show car are a different matter.

Thanks Gordon,
    I will look these up.

I purchased a refurbished, correct Bosch alternator from Ebay seller bnrparts, located in Van Nuys, CA in 2017.
    They shipped it quickly, it works perfectly and it had the little Bosch tag and appeared 100% "correct" to me.
    This may not be the painstaking "restoration" of an untouched-by-human hands original piece, but it works and I drive my car.
    I was very happy with this part. YMMV

Name:  IMG_0888.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  134.9 KB
    Mitch M.
    Early 911S Registry Member #3603
    Maryland, USA

Mitch,
    Any trouble when installing the alternator?
    Thanks, Charlie

Hi Charlie,
    No, zero problems installing it.

i had a charging problem, which is detailed in another thread on this board ( Fall 2017). The alternator light was dim, then steady on when the engine was running.

I suspected the alternator was at fault, so I purchased the alternator above and installed it.

Even so, the alternator light didn't go out completely (or was still dim), even with the new alternator installed.

Several folks here suggested I check the battery lead connection at the starter - and VIOLA - it was covered in grease from the leaking inner CV joint, and there was a nice swath of grease on the underside of the car there.

So I cleaned the grease off all the connections thoroughly, and carefully put a coat of clear silicone on the CV joint surfaces to hopefully prevent grease from seeping out.

PROBLEM SOLVED (for now).
    Lesson: your battery connections at the starter must be clean and strong - otherwise it doesn't matter how many amps the alternator puts out, the battery won't receive the signal (or it will be weak enough to turn the light on), and your light will come on or stay on.

However, I took my car out at dusk for an evening run last week.
    When I turned the headlights on, the alt. light started glowing dimly, so I guess I have to check the area again.
    If there's grease there again, I'll have to R&R the axle, clean everything and reseal it.

In 1966, there was no CV joint gasket for the Lobro joints like on later cars, so these joints have a tendency to leak if they are driven regularly, like mine.
    I think most people put a coat of clear silicone grease on the joint flanges to prevent the mating surfaces from leaking grease when they get hot.

Hope this helps.
    Best,
    Mitch
    Mitch M.
    Early 911S Registry Member #3603
    Maryland, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 304093 View Post
    Several folks here suggested I check the battery lead connection at the starter - and VIOLA - it was covered in grease from the leaking inner CV joint, and there was a nice swath of grease on the underside of the car there.
    I have never gotten my inner CV's perfectly leak-free and so now I wrap the joint with aluminum HVAC tape, the stuff you can get at your local hardware store. No more axle grease flung all over the underside of the car.

Thanks Mitch
    And all who commented