Thread: Early 1965 SWB Struts

Early 1965 SWB Struts

Hi Guys!

Looking for some info regarding my mid 65 front suspension. I tried to search here but didn't find any conclusive answers.

My car still has the early fixed strut mounts, no camber adjustment, no 3 bolt top mount but the solid (butcherd by factory) mounting hole.

Can I use later ('66 model) Boge struts with Koni inserts by just removing the 3 bout strut mount with correct new top rubbers or are these different?

If so, are there any koni inserts available for these very early 65 model struts?

Name:  Earlystrut.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  71.8 KB

There are Koni inserts for the Boge struts. Used them in my 66 (last vin with the non-adjustable upper mounts)

Joe D
    1966 911 #302694

Name:  22AC47F9-FC0B-46E8-8330-DBB6E6BF8166.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  10.3 KB

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
    There are Koni inserts for the Boge struts. Used them in my 66 (last vin with the non-adjustable upper mounts)

Joe D
    So the strut body (lower) is the same for both adjustable and non adjustable body?

And you just mount the inserts the same way like you would with the 3bolt adjustable version or do you need a different rubber and disc set for the top?

I have a spare set 67 bogen struts, and I can buy a almost new set of koni inserts for them. Just want to make sure there isn't any difference between the inserts for early 65 cars and later swb.

The original (65 3 bolt) strut housing is used, the Koni is an insert. Remove the strut, the dust cover comes off. The insert is then unscrewed from the housing and removed/replaced. The Koni comes with the necessary rubber, washers and nut

Joe D
    1966 911 #302694

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
    The original (65 3 bolt) strut housing is used, the Koni is an insert. Remove the strut, the dust cover comes off. The insert is then unscrewed from the housing and removed/replaced. The Koni comes with the necessary rubber, washers and nut

Joe D
    Hi Joe,

Sorry for the confusion but I was wondering about the top part. The strut is clear, i realise now you are focussing on the 3 bolt strut body, i was talking about the 3 bolt fixation to the car body. The part where you mount the inserts to the car body. Where the newer cars have the 3 bolt camber adjuster tops and the old ones a fixed hole in the car body. Are these the same , mounting wise? So do you need the same shock insert and mounting hardware to install either directly to the body or to the oval shaped camber adjuster with the 3 bolt mounting to the car body. Hope it's more clear.

The Early style mid 65:
    Name:  SuspensionFrontSWB011158070547.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  73.2 KB

The later style extra parts I have:
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 10.28.19 AM.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  88.1 KB

Will work with no issues.
    I just put together several 65’ sets and one set with Koni inserts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß