Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1965 911 steering wheel

1965 911 steering wheel

Hi everyone,

My father bought a Bahama Yellow 911 in the summer of 1965. At some point my brother replaced the steering wheel. The original steering wheel is all I have left of the car. I've decided to sell it. I am not up on the best way to sell a 57 year old Porsche part or its value. If you folks can give me some guidance I'd really appreciate it. It's a really nice wheel. Thank you.

(I am not currently a Porsche owner but I am pursuing a blue '68 911, cross your fingers).

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

There were no factory painted 65 in that color.
    registry #2072

There’s no way to email you directly given that you’re a new member.

Would you post your email or phone number?

Would like to talk to you about your wheel

Where are you located, show more pictures, what are the letters and numbers on the face of the hub? Why not put it on the 68 car. What is your phone # .

mike curnow
    Mike

Sure, I didn't think of that. My regular email is elsonite@msn.com - my phone is 310 430 4646. Texts are good on my phone, I don't answer much. I'm in Los Angeles. I can take as many photos as you like. Most likely will have time Sunday. I would put it on the '68 but I don't have it yet. My guess is it will take another year or two. The current owner is in no rush. It's someone I know, not on the market.

And Jim, I am very sure you know more than I do about what colors came in '65. I will say, I am very sure the car had not been repainted when my father got it. It had 7000 kilometers on it, he bought it at the Santa Monica dealer. He was told it was an executive in Stuttgart that had it before him. I don't know if I can find a color photo. I can look. Here's a B&W of me with the car in 1965. I am 65 years old now.

Thanks for the help!me and 911.jpeg

New here, but an old fart Euro911's Avatar
    It could have been a special order color in '65, and was a factory color for the '66 MY ... https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...1-1965-596293/

If purchased in the 'summer' of '65, it may have been a '66 MY ... https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki/BahamaYellow
    Mark 'S'
    Retired and living the dream ... God help me if I wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Euro911 View Post
    It could have been a special order color in '65, and was a factory color for the '66 MY ... https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...1-1965-596293/

If purchased in the 'summer' of '65, it may have been a '66 MY ... https://www.rennbow.org/colorwiki/BahamaYellow
    Exactly. When delivered from August 65 on, Bahamas yellow was a standard available color.

Your steering wheel has an alu center which is rare and valuable.

Do a search on eBay ( times 2/3 and you’ll probably have a realistic price).

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by elsonite View Post
    Sure, I didn't think of that. My regular email is elsonite@msn.com - my phone is 310 430 4646. Texts are good on my phone, I don't answer much. I'm in Los Angeles. I can take as many photos as you like. Most likely will have time Sunday. I would put it on the '68 but I don't have it yet. My guess is it will take another year or two. The current owner is in no rush. It's someone I know, not on the market.

And Jim, I am very sure you know more than I do about what colors came in '65. I will say, I am very sure the car had not been repainted when my father got it. It had 7000 kilometers on it, he bought it at the Santa Monica dealer. He was told it was an executive in Stuttgart that had it before him. I don't know if I can find a color photo. I can look. Here's a B&W of me with the car in 1965. I am 65 years old now.

Thanks for the help!me and 911.jpeg
    I like pictures like these, the longtime porsche relationship
    Any chance you have more pictures to figure out the date the of the car?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    That ‘65 steering wheel will fit the blue ‘68 911 you’re hoping to purchase perfectly. And it’s a connection back to your Dad and earlier days. I rarely give recommendations or unsolicited opinions, but my hope is that you will keep this piece of family history and enjoy it on the ‘68.

Best,
    Andy in New Hampshire
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Moving this over here. Once you establish a price, looking forward to seeing this wheel in Parts For Sale. Best of luck with your search.

PS - I too hope it ends up on the ‘68 as a family heirloom.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100