Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I like the 72 911 the most?

Would the nudge bar count, I can't remember seeing one on an earlier car?
    Craig Williams
    Eugene,OR

Member #1070

1972 911E Targa Puck

Here's one of the more unique oil cooler installs done on a 72-S conversion to 2.7 specs. Oil cooler is where the standard oil tank would be located all other years.
    Car belonged to a member.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by 67SWT View Post
    Would the nudge bar count, I can't remember seeing one on an earlier car?
    Craig, you may be correct. I do know that the factory offered Amco style dual rear nudge bars in MY71 ( they were separate bars not joined by the end plates the Amco had) but I am unsure if the rear nudge bar as on my car previous was factory installed of dealer installed, regardless I have not seen the single rear nudge bar on a 911 previous to MY72.
    Mark

I know the purists will choke but those of us that like old cars tend to modify them into something from the past. Mine is stripping with some imagination, Cobra rear view mirrors, Australian minilite wheels and of course the ducktail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

Quote Originally Posted by NZVW View Post
    Craig, you may be correct. I do know that the factory offered Amco style dual rear nudge bars in MY71 ( they were separate bars not joined by the end plates the Amco had) but I am unsure if the rear nudge bar as on my car previous was factory installed of dealer installed, regardless I have not seen the single rear nudge bar on a 911 previous to MY72.
    That option was also available for SWB using the bumper guards without the rubber bumpers. I've seen one such but, have not seen one listed on a Kardex. The option with the rubber bumper guards is also listed 70/71.

So, while cool,,,, not a reason to love '72s more.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

NZVW, I forgot to add the flag mirror. It's funny you said that because I woke up later that night I posted this and said oh crap I forgot to mention the flag mirror and then when back to sleep. Haha
    72S, 72T now ST

Yeah Jim, I don't know about that one. I've fixed so many in that area even 69-71's. Maybe the 72/73 S front bumper allowed more dirt and water to get pushed up into that area as the T bumper fit much closer to the front nose? I'll crack another beer and ponder that. Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I've noticed thru the years that 72s are prone to rust under the headlight buckets, even in "California" cars. 71 and earlier cars don't do that. I'm guessing that the factory changed the way under seal was applied in that year. Your thoughts, Scott? By the way, I'm using a pretty large sample set.

Jim
    72S, 72T now ST

Here’s a few more to set 1972 apart from 1973:

Last year of:
    - standard front oil cooler for S (option in 1973)
    - smaller bumperettes (1973 had the big clunky ones)

Name:  DC0AFFED-8195-4526-BBCA-5B3E4020ECFD.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  212.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    Here’s a few more to set 1972 apart from 1973:

Last year of:
    - standard front oil cooler for S (option in 1973)
    - smaller bumperettes (1973 had the big clunky ones)

Name:  DC0AFFED-8195-4526-BBCA-5B3E4020ECFD.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  212.0 KB
    Only in USA ... RoW had std front oir cooler and no bumperettes
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I always thought the late-72 all black small bumperettes were kinda cool.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100