Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Casper 11801191

What an awesome thread and what a wonderful car you have!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by mark 74 Carrera View Post
    Just been watching your progress on the car and as we have discussed, all of your work reveals a story. So, we were told that the car hasn't run in 30 over years. Your work seems to confirm the 30 years timeframe. As systems were removed, many parts had been replaced with "substitute" non-Porsche or not correct years Porsche parts.

I think this car was someone's daily driver back in the day, but I don't think the owner had a Porsche or VW repair shop anywhere that was convenient. The repairs make me think that the owner worked on the car themselves and used parts that were available back before the internet. Perhaps they were pulled off a 911 in a junkyard and were early 911 car parts but not the correct year. Metal gaskets cut from old highway signs, intake manifolds utilizing JB Weld to block off passages that were wrong due to using the incorrect year's part are a couple of examples.

The car reminds me of when I would work on my own cars in the late 70s and early 80s when I did not have the money to buy new parts or just needed to do a quick fix to get the car back on the road when Monday rolled around. "What can I do to keep this thing running?"

I can't wait to hear the engine fire again!
    Dad
    Definitely agree. With the early oil breather cover and solex air cleaner I have been assuming that a 65-66 911 must have been in a junkyard nearby. It would be amazing to trace the car back through ownership to learn more. Before New Mexico the car was near Durango Colorado. This would have been around the late 80's to early 90's. That's as much as I know (outside of knowing the original owner's name)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    What an awesome thread and what a wonderful car you have!!!
    Thanks Stephen!
    1968 911 S
    Searching for transmission # 2281852
    EarlyS #4172

I notice the distributor is a marelli unit.

As I know, the marelli is only for 2,0 T and 2,2 T not a 2,0 S

Quote Originally Posted by J-R View Post
    I notice the distributor is a marelli unit.

As I know, the marelli is only for 2,0 T and 2,2 T not a 2,0 S
    J-R, you are right that it currently has a marelli unit. I looked at the parts catalog and it looks like the bosch would have been the standard equipment for a 2.0L S. We will have to correct this in the future. Good call
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

Wonderful story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Wonderful story!!
    Thanks Mark!

I fished out the driver's side rear axle earier this week. Was rebuilding it today but I found damage in the CV joint. Have to weigh my options now. Continue with the rebuild or replace the axle assembly. I will probably return the rebuilt kit and at a minimum replace the drivers side axle. I started with the drivers side because the transmission side CV boot was destroyed. The wheel side was still pretty well greased and doesn't display the same damage internally. Hopefully the two joints on the passenger's side are in good enough shape; I'll have to look at them a little more closely.

Name:  IMG_1827.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  163.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1839.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  66.2 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

It has been a long time coming. We started the car for the first this morning. Definitely running a bit rough so there is more to work on. Here is a video of the first start.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ybsHsoDpyBk
    Last edited by Druepy; 11-13-2022 at 08:59 AM.
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

The video of the initial start-up was not running on all cylinders. We have really been battling with carb issues. Hopefully, they will get sorted soon. We have the brakes together and working along with the ebrake. H1s, euro turns, and brake lights are in. Much more has been happening but it's hard to summarize it all. Below are a few random pictures since the last update.

Name:  IMG_2208.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  167.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2469.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  149.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2475.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  130.7 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

Huge shoutout to Paul Abbott (1QuickS here on Early911S) at Performance Oriented! He offered me tremendous help and guidance. With his help we were able to clear the idle circuit of blockage and the car is now running on all 6 cylinders!

Name:  IMG_2514.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  113.7 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

wow and wow,
    what great stuff.

can you detail more about the idle circuit blockage? was it just a jet, or a deep hidden corner?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914