Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Restoring 307407

Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    How did you figure out it was a 5 speed, kardex was incorrect?
    The gearbox shifted into 5 gears

Can someone recommend a good source for interior carpet for a 1967 coupe?
    Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Can you believe it's almost been two years since I sent my car in for what was supposed to be some "easy sheet metal work" back in October 2023? Well, let me tell you, it's been quite the journey!

We've had our fair share of challenges, from chasing down a fender replacement to a month-long ordeal involving the front windshield and a new OEM gasket. And guess what? We're not out of the woods just yet. It might even be January before I see the end of this "easy sheet metal work" process.

But here's where it gets exciting: I've been having some intriguing discussions with a mechanic friend of mine about the next steps. My primary goal, for now, is to get this car back on the road safely.

I've listed out the detailed plan for assessing, planning, and working on various aspects of the car, from the engine to the suspension, brakes, wheels, exhaust, transmission, and even some upgrades like a half cage for safety.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this plan. What do you think about the scope of work? Are there any recommendations or suggestions you'd like to share?

Category Location Action
    Assessment and planning Engine Compression and Leak down test
    Assessment and planning Engine Visual inspection for any head / basement cracks or excessive wear.
    Assessment and planning Suspensions Inspect steering rack
    Assessment and planning Suspensions Inspect suspension arms for cracks and damage
    Assessment and planning Fuel / oil lines Visual inspection of the lines for breaking / rotting at both ends.
    Assessment and planning Fuel / oil lines Make sure Fuel Pump works
    Assessment and planning Brakes Brakes are non-op. Inspection to be carried out in light of installing a dual-circuit system
    Assessment and planning Wheels Inspect for wheel for cracks and hub for bearing play
    Assessment and planning Exhaust Check exhaust system for signs of rust, flat spots and cracks on headers or muffler
    Assessment and planning Transmission Check that the car shifts in all gears with little effort, Ensure that the gears, even without power, are able to be engaged
    Work Engine Carburetors Overhaul
    Maintenance Engine Replace plugs and wire, distributors, check starter
    Work Engine Fuel Tank cleaning or replacement if not possible to recover
    Work Engine Depending on the engine's condition, it may be necessary to perform a complete rebuild or overhaul. This can include honing cylinders, replacing piston rings, bearings, gaskets, and seals
    Work Engine Inspect the timing chain for wear and replace tensioners with later ones
    Maintenance Engine Change the engine oil and filter, and check for any oil leaks.
    Maintenance Engine Inspect Engine Mounts
    Maintenance Exhaust Upgraded "s" headers and sport exhaust
    Maintenance Engine Check the throttle linkage and cables for smooth operation. Lubricate and adjust as needed
    Work Brakes Rebuild calipers FR and RR
    Work Brakes Replace Brake Lines
    Work Brakes Install dual circuit system, replace the brake master cylinder
    Maintenance Brakes Parking Brake (Handbrake) Cable Inspection/Adjustment
    Work Suspensions Replace Shocks with sport bilstein or sport tuned alternatives
    Work Suspensions Replace front A arm bushings, ball joints and install turbo tie rods
    Work Suspensions Rear spring plate bushing set, swing arms and dust boots
    Work Suspensions Generic comment, but which parts can be improved to make the car lower and sportier in the way it drives?
    Work Wheels Replace Bearing if needed
    Maintenance Wheels Replace Tyres with new tires to be provided
    Parts Wheels replace wheels with steelies if not too heavy
    Assessment and planning Transmission Check that gears stay in under load
    Work Half cage Install half a cage for safety.

All standard refresh stuff except....what is a "half cage"? Is this going to be a racecar (I doubt it, from your list). In most states a cage is illegal in a street car, for very good reasons. You don't want to be in a car with a cage unless you are wearing a helmet.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    All standard refresh stuff except....what is a "half cage"? Is this going to be a racecar (I doubt it, from your list). In most states a cage is illegal in a street car, for very good reasons. You don't want to be in a car with a cage unless you are wearing a helmet.
    Half a cage is a cage that covers the rear of the car, behind the front seats. It mostly protects against rollovers.

As much as awesome these cars are, adding a bit of safety makes me feel better