Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rallye Neige et Glace 13.-16. February 2022 France

Recap of Rallye Neige et Glace 2022 Day 3 Tuesday

Finally snow
    It's been a cold night and it snowed a little.
    Name:  IMG_7376.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  118.0 KB
    Today's trip will be at more altitude and this means more snow.
    The afternoon before I recognized more play in the clutch pedal - and still did not get around it as usually you get less play as the friction disc gets eaten.
    Before the trip I also had to adjust the clutch which was unusual.
    So a quick stop at the fiat dealer - we had enough time start was scheduled 9:59
    Name:  20220215_084321.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  97.9 KB

Tuesdays tour until lunch https://scenicapp.space/viewRide.php?rid=tZJwwsTv

And the first stage already was promising

Some guys were a bit too enthusiastic that morning and got stuck on a pile of snow or were in the ditch- but nothing serious.

Name:  14D48995-7C42-49F9-A0B5-3E6FA24834ED.jpeg
Views: 434
Size:  208.1 KB

The next stages were in deeper snow through the woods followed by one on tarmac - and it's possible to have some fun there too - although it really eats the studded tires if you're sliding around too much (what we did)

At lunch we sat at the table with Pierre and Tommaso with the Fulvia, and Tommaso asked us if he could follow us in the afternoon as Pierre had some business stuff to do on the phone and navigating and driving at the same time isn't really an option.
    This was our trip back to Malbuisson https://scenicapp.space/viewRide.php?rid=tZJwwsTv (with some detour)
    Little did he know - we've missed at drivers briefing the day before (yup french again) that the two special stages after lunch were cancelled due to too much snow.
    So we drove in front Tommaso behind us and Pierre was at his board meeting on the phone.
    We had a little moment when we were unsure with the route and they overtook us and went straight into the cancelled stage.
    As it went downhill my faith came back that we would be able to make it - until an incline came and the Fulvia got stuck. So we pulled here out of the snow and discussed whether to continue or try go back uphill.
    We came to the conclusion that going back was the choice and I decided to put the chains on in that comfortable situation we were right now-(level ground and not too much snow) I really didn't want to put the chains on in deep snow on an incline.

The fulvia went up again as we did too - in retrospective this would probably have worked without chains too but I might be a coward sometimes.

From there it was really Winter Wonderland streets with no traffic, some snow, sometimes even sun and blue sky.

Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-21-09h04m05s202.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  78.1 KB
    Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-21-09h05m47s712.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-21-09h13m52s266.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-21-09h14m05s791.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  99.3 KB
    Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-21-09h14m57s521.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  71.6 KB
    Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-21-09h15m13s996.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  94.8 KB
    tbc
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by uai; 02-20-2022 at 11:31 PM.

That last photo was making me seasick. Much better now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Cool event, Uli!
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Recap of Rallye Neige et Glace 2022 Day 4 Wednesday

So today's the last day and right off the podium there's a regularity that's blocked.
    Here's the trip https://scenicapp.space/viewRide.php?rid=LyxTctDH
    Today is also the day of deep mud & snow you're driving 50% on the wheels and 50% on the floor (not really, but it feels like that).
    We waited for about 1/2 an hour and then took a shortcut to get back on the track.
    As we didn't have anybody in front of us we made pretty good progress even in todays deep mud & snow until...
    ...there was this truck in the forest - he backed up a little and I tried going around him until I stuck...

After being able to move under own power we overtook some of the regularity guys and went to the deep forests and other agricultural ways.
    So we were already thinking about building a kind of a beater car for events like that I was thinking of my lust for a certain car - rear engined aircooled boxer (yes a BMW 700 Sports Coupe)
    an Autobianchi A112 was in front of us - and quickly the idea of using a "small" car showed it's downside - it's too narrow.
    When it has ruts like these you're doomed with a small trackwidth.
    The conditions took their toll so we've seen quite some stranded cars today either stuck in the snow or with a technical defect.
    A massive sump protection is not an optional accessory

Ich wollte schon immer mal ein Starlet abschleppen (Sorry that joke doesn't work in english)

Here some of the stranded guys

Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-25-15h11m29s000.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-25-15h14m29s768.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-25-15h18m08s515.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2022-02-25-16h33m40s218.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  91.5 KB

So at the last special stage before returning to the hotel i pressed the clutch and that was it...

The pushrod from the pedal to the lever broke - there must have been an issue already before the rallye.

Name:  20220216_161846.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  106.9 KB

So some nice guy from switzerland with the Land Cruiser towed me to the Fiat workshop near the hotel where I welded it the next morning.

And we drove home - this car is not a trailer queen.
    Last edited by uai; 02-26-2022 at 01:44 AM.

nice vids Uli. i was always taught "give way to the truck in the snow on a narrow forestry road - he can pull you out, but you can't pull him out
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Great stuff!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

So what's the conclusio?
    The event is worth every penny - what the organisers are doing is beyond what you pay.
    The event is more hardcore than I thought when it comes to the type of roads you're driving.
    Good prep on the car is crucial. Bring a trailer - just in case...
    Speaking / understanding french on a medicore level is a must.
    It's not so wrong if your car can take some beating if you decide to go for it.

It would have been nicer with a little more driving on snowy roads instead of forrest trails - but there are others Rallyes like the RMCH that cover that.

Would I want to do it again? definetely
    Will I do it again? Well it depends a little on my car - I'm currently doing some serious suspension mods which are more track focussed. I don't really want to get another car perhaps I'll have a set of winter axles and summer axles. Who knows... time will tell.

Here's a link to the french regional tv programme which covers the event in 4 small parts in their daily evening programme

Pic from the night stage at day 1
    Name:  IMG_7363_1600_1200.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by uai; 03-01-2022 at 12:45 PM.