Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Pebble Beach . . .

2021 Pebble Beach . . .

. . . yup --- went to this one, too . . . 1st time in years

$400 --- $500 day-o'-the-show

Last time I went? . . . $150

With prices like that, somehow masks seem appropriate

Thank (your deity, here) for plastic 'cause nothing puts a dent in my beer money like drivin' all the way to Monterey for a car show

Post yer pics, Citizens

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

More 2021 Pebble Beach

Mentioned doing a last-minute Airbnb in Salinas --- a bedroom for two nights (sans So-Much-More-Than-a-Girl-Friend) . . . then headed-out Sunday AM . . . just a liiiiitle late + groggy

But? --- sported a clean-shirt (with actual buttons) + appropriately masked-up. All packed-up, too --- heading straight home, after. Don't remember getting any breakfast = empty tank (mine)

Usual cool/gray/semi-dismal morning --- which I love . . . 'specially if it keeps the crowds down

Wasn't quite sure what to expect, given all the COVID business. 'Cept for law-enforcement (out to catch any inappropriate showing-off), almost no traffic getting to the venue . . . as in NONE

!

Oh, well . . .

We Can Be Heroes

More 2021 Pebble Beach . . .

Parking was kinda all over the place. I mean, there was bus service shuttling people from what must 've been a dozen separate lots, all scattered hither-and-yon. And --- unless my bus's driver was a complete ding-bat . . . not all-that-well marked, either . . . considering I had to walk a coupla miles to get to mine

Regardless . . . entry was made from large wood-chipped collection-point that led to a gauntlet of vendor's tents --- not all of which were open. I'd considered buying a hat, but what was on offer was a bit, well . . . boujie

Hey! --- don't let the buttons + flash watch give ya the wrong impression . . . I'm pretty-much a hillbilly with a hair-cut. 'Sides, I already dropped four yards for this little pajama party, so --- unless there's a happy ending involved? . . . I'm kinda tapped-out

Entry mascots

Ferrari 275 --- 4-cam going by the hood bulge . . . in an interesting shade of 'angel's food.' Hey! --- at least it's not red

And if ya wanna know what ever happened to all those cheap SCs we used to see on AutoTrader and Craig's List, well . . . they're getting re-imagined as whatever this is

Thank you, Singer . . . thank you

We Can Be Heroes

Here was a really interesting tent/store . . . Pur Sang

I know-I know-I know --- 'Fauxgattis', I get it, I get it

But just look at these things! Dunno what these cost --- but this is definitely something I could maintain myself. And whatever breaks or falls off, I could prolly get at Tractor Supply --- or on Amazon (shudder) . . . or maybe just take to a machinist and have made. I pretty-much expect anything internally combusted to be rendered economically if not legislatively defunct over the next coupla decades, as we switch over to electrics. And anything that does survive the transition, will be a challenge to maintain/use . . . if we're even allowed to use it at all

So instead of something like this . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1122558

. . . what about one o' these?

OK-OK --- so there's no back seat or cup-holders . . . and maybe the kids 'll crab about being bounced-around gettin' dropped-off at school . . .

. . . but something as elemental as this will outlive any plastics or software being built today

Word --- new cars aren't restored . . . they're re-cycled

And how fun would it be to take something like this to work?

'Honey --- you seen my goggles, anywhere?'

Last edited by LongRanger; 04-08-2022 at 01:03 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

. . . more of the gauntlet

People really hadn't started showing-up, yet --- so I was in kindova hurry, here

These tents all opened-up, later . . . and some pretty amazing sh!t behind all this canvas, lemme tell/show ya (later)

Mercedes-Benz pavilion at the end --- kinda impressive for what 's basically a temporary structure . . . but looked/felt more like a new car show-room, so . . .

. . . blew through, there

Quick 180, and? . . . and there's the crowd at the entrance NOT

!

= why I go early

We Can Be Heroes

I'm guessing any space at the entrance of a high-end shew like ol' Pebble would make for a outstanding advertising space --- and/so would command a premium price . . .

. . . and attract a premium brand

Just wish these cars were --- I dunno . . .

. . . prettier?

Considering Ferrari's rather-cynical marketing calculus of producing 'one less than we can sell,' there 'll always be (at least) one customer for their sleds . . .

. . . so I'm guessing that maybe they just don't feel like they have to try very hard?

I mean --- I guess all the shapes + curves are sleek-enough . . .

. . . still --- looks to me like an Aston Martin spent a night in Vegas with a Camaro

Then/again --- maybe this is 'armored' version?

We Can Be Heroes

. . .

Wow . . .

. . . the lengths Ferrari 'll go to t' package a V12 in the front

No rear window, huh? --- just a camera, looks like . . . another way to reduce the weight of glass, I guess. 'Course, there is that spoiler thingy . . . blocking-off the first 100-or-so feet of rear vision

Oo-oo --- and the famous wing-on-the hood . . . what would Colin Chapman say about that?

And I'm sure the Singer Guys are taking notes, here --- what with all the scoops, extractors, strakes, misc addenda, present

I'm guessing cars like this don't get driven much, 'cause the first parking lot in my 'hood would prolly see-off half the plast --- er, carbon fiber hanging off this rig

. . . but I'm sure Ferrari will happily conjour any required replacements if, at some point in the future one should be required (gulp!)

Wonder if these already come with their 'red book'?

We Can Be Heroes

. . .

Just a guess, but . . . some kinda Ferrari event, maybe? Weird. Everything was covered, so I didn't bother. Later

See? This is what I get when I go to Pebble --- a really sad wrist-band . . . oh - + a program (soft-cover) . . . + a poster . . . which I doubt I'll ever put up. I'm an idiot

Oo-oo-oo --- izzat the 'new' Countach? Wow, nice job --- on a design that's 47 years old . . . never woulda recognized it

Gemballa 'Project Sandbox.' Really? Didn't Porsche already do this? . . . like, 40-years, ago? 'Cept for those bazooka-tube exhaust pipes, thing looks suspiciously like a Tesla from behind

We Can Be Heroes

. . . I'm sure there's a name for this part of The Shew . . . I just don't remember it

Audi Skysphere --- too big for my camera . . . prolly has to be big to fit enough batteries to haul itself around . . . although that front grill looks kiiiiiinda big just for AC. Kinda gross proportions = nose-heavy-looking . . . better have radar for finding the curb when you're parking. And it's looking like rear windows are getting styled out of new cars --- being replaced by cameras, here . . . sprouting off the front quarters, looks like. Top is made out of a different material than the rest . . . removable, maybe? Looks like something Batman's Dad would drive . . . woof!

Genesis --- now this looks like a car that's ready for sale, like . . . now. Nice size = compact + tight body-work . . . just not my favorite face. Razor-blade rear-views. And am I seeing formation lights striping the front? Military aircraft use these = low-glare + useful in poor visibility. Pretty conservative . . . w/accent on the pretty

Acura NSX --- just what every high-schooler draws in English class. Just count those scoops, will ya? Better be fast . . . yawn

We Can Be Heroes

. . . Koenigsegg

Kinda pretty -- but apart from car shows, maybe a magazine article-or-three, + assorted/inevitable cars & coffee . . . I just don't see this getting a lotta miles, y' know. And no rear window

Prolly a not-so-great place to sink 7-figures . . . unless you've got 8 or 9 more to burn, maybe?

But I am kinda diggin' on dem fin-things

We Can Be Heroes