Thread: Question for the glass / windshield experts

Question for the glass / windshield experts

Hi Everyone:

I have a European-delivered 1971 911T with clear glass all around, including the windshield.

My windshield needs replacing, so I picked up what I thought was a "clear" and correct replacement. However, after seeing the glass in person, my eye detects a slight green hue. Adding further concern is the fact that the edge of the glass is definitely green.

What do you all think about the replacement glass?

1. Is this green (tinted) or clear?
    2. Separately, is this correct for a Euro car?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_3330.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3331.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3332.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3333.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  98.5 KB

I'd call that clear. Most glass has a very slight greenish cast, especially noticeable at the edge. My tinted glass is a lot more green than that.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

That is clear. As Arne says, virtually all 911 glass is greenish on edge. The green tinted glass is very obvious.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Easiest way to check tint on glass is to put a piece of white paper behind the glass, if there is a tint, it will show up right away

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    That is clear. As Arne says, virtually all 911 glass is greenish on edge. The green tinted glass is very obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephers View Post
    Easiest way to check tint on glass is to put a piece of white paper behind the glass, if there is a tint, it will show up right away

Thanks, Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I'd call that clear. Most glass has a very slight greenish cast, especially noticeable at the edge. My tinted glass is a lot more green than that.
    Thanks, guys. Initially, I thought this was clear and based on your input, I think it is. The green edging is definitely throwing me off and the "white paper" trick shows a very, very faint tint to it. I am guessing that is normal for "clear" windshields, given the composition of the glass.

More importantly, would this windshield be correct for a Euro 911? If not, I will post it to the classifieds. Not planning to install it any time soon as my exterior restoration is a ways off, so there's no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
    Thanks, guys. Initially, I thought this was clear and based on your input, I think it is. The green edging is definitely throwing me off and the "white paper" trick shows a very, very faint tint to it. I am guessing that is normal for "clear" windshields, given the composition of the glass.

More importantly, would this windshield be correct for a Euro 911? If not, I will post it to the classifieds. Not planning to install it any time soon as my exterior restoration is a ways off, so there's no rush.
    Yes, it’s “correct”. It does have a different marking than the original one due to law. Go ahead and have it installed.

Jim

Most Euro cars from that period are done in clear glass. In 1969 the US DOT required all US cars to have tinted glass
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    In 1969 the US DOT required all US cars to have tinted glass
    Please provide documentation for the tinted glass requirement.

Your glass is marked AS1 which is clear and not tinted