Thread: Value applied for shipping

Value applied for shipping

Hey all. I’m sending a 67 2.0 alum engine case out for some minor machine work. Curious what the going value is on something like this currently. This is the original engine to the car. I have a specific box I use for this shipping task so damage from normal handling isn’t much concern. Loss is the big one for me.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    U buy insurance but, it’s not an agreed value. Settlement could be by the pound#.

You can do declared value on LTL shipments too. Just take lots of pictures.
    I had a dash damaged by UPS and they paid the declared value, not a cost per pound. Had to show the documented contents and some auction and sales values to prove the declared value, but it took a week at most.

I had a upgraded Triumph motor in a crate and it was lost on it’s way back from South Bay Triumph. After 3 months, the trucking company paid out the value, including all the new parts and labour. But then they found it in a Kansas warehouse a few days later, so we agreed that I give them back 90% of their cheque. They allowed 10% for my costs in pursuing things. 10% was still $1200 as I recall.

Moral of the story, use a reputable company for shipping (can’t believe I’m saying that about highway robbery UPS, but credit where credit is due).
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK