Thread: 911 SWB 2,0 distributor question

911 SWB 2,0 distributor question

Hello,
    I have a question about distributors on my 2.0 67 car
    I had my original 001 distributor overhauled at Vintage Works, currently I have an electronic distributor installed and the car runs very well with it.
    Which is better, the refurbished 001 distributor or the electronic one?
    Thanks Ben

Whichever one makes your car run better.

Ben,

Are you facing an issue? I am running a Bosch 001 distributor as well, however with Pertronix electronic ignition inside of it, not the points/condenser. Are you saying you had your 001 rebuilt and its on the shelf, while you are running an entirely different electronic setup?

If so, here are some considerations.

1. Are you trying to go for originality/show? If so, run the 001.
    2. Are you trying to go for originality and performance? If so, run the 001 with electronic inside of it, leaving the condenser/etc... visible on the outside.
    3. Are you just trying to get it running well and performing, not caring about visual/originality? Run what you have, keep the 001 for a possible future sale for the individual that may want to go back to original.

I don't think one is truly better over the other, unless we get into the debate of electronic vs. points.
    Looking for a 1967 911S Project!

My 78 FJ40 Build

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Subscribing to this thread, as I ask myself same question - have a Bosch with points on my 2.0S 1968 with a MSD 6AL + MSD coil. My point are gone after 3000 miles done on it... so thinking of moving the points to electronic.

No mean to jeopardize the thread here.
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier, I'f you are running a hot ignition, burning points - perhaps keep the look on the outside (just unplug the condenser) and run a Pertronix. The Pertronix for the cast iron body 001/2 is 1866. You can find them for less than 100 US if you shop around.

Last, I put heat-shrink around the red/black wires coming out of the distributor body from the Pertronix, which vastly improved the cleanliness and look. Then, I just ran the wire into the loom over to the coil + and -. Clean, simple, electronic and doesn't call attention to it.
    Looking for a 1967 911S Project!

My 78 FJ40 Build

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaddox View Post
    Xavier, I'f you are running a hot ignition, burning points - perhaps keep the look on the outside (just unplug the condenser) and run a Pertronix. The Pertronix for the cast iron body 001/2 is 1866. You can find them for less than 100 US if you shop around.

Last, I put heat-shrink around the red/black wires coming out of the distributor body from the Pertronix, which vastly improved the cleanliness and look. Then, I just ran the wire into the loom over to the coil + and -. Clean, simple, electronic and doesn't call attention to it.
    Thank you for the tip - will try.
    all the best.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407