Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First gear grind from stop

First gear grind from stop

I read a bunch of threads about first gear grind, but they are all about a grind on downshift to first. I have a 1973.5 with 122k miles. My problem is only that when I have been sitting at stop light and shift into first, I have to put clutch in, then wait maybe 3 seconds to let it spin down before I can shift into first without a grind. Even if I fully depress the clutch, if I donÂ’t wait a few seconds after depressing clutch it will grind into first. All other shifting is perfect. Not a huge deal, just makes me a little annoying to people when light turns green and I have to wait a little. Does this sound like bad first gear synchro or just loose clutch cable? I am interested in the mechanics of what is going on before I go in adjusting things without understanding if anyone has thoughts. Thanks!
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

I assume it also grinds if you attempt reverse from a stop. Start with a proper clutch adjustment, its also possible your clutch cable is old and dragging. Probably a good clutch cable and adjustment will solve your problem. By the way, is that the original clutch? parts do wear out!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Put it in 2nd or 3rd first to stop the spinning, then shift into 1st.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I solved that problem by installing late 1st gear anchor block, thrust block and one piece brake band, along with late 1st synchro. Even fresh rebuild with double brake band system grinds as u describe. Sorry I’ve never found anything else that works.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I assume it also grinds if you attempt reverse from a stop. Start with a proper clutch adjustment, its also possible your clutch cable is old and dragging. Probably a good clutch cable and adjustment will solve your problem. By the way, is that the original clutch? parts do wear out!
    I have never had it grind going into reverse from stop, but I am going to test to make sure I am doing it as quickly. And I am pretty sure itÂ’s the original clutch, but really no other problems that I notice. I will try adjustment, and new cable if needed. Going to need a rebuild soon so will do new clutch while I am at it. Thanks!
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Will give it a try, but sure would be nice if I could avoid my wait or that. Meant for that to be in response to the second gear trick
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Would a full transmission rebuild solve any grinding (irrespective of the gear)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenstrips View Post
    I have never had it grind going into reverse from stop, but I am going to test to make sure I am doing it as quickly. And I am pretty sure itÂ’s the original clutch, but really no other problems that I notice. I will try adjustment, and new cable if needed. Going to need a rebuild soon so will do new clutch while I am at it. Thanks!
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

Also possible you have a slightly sticky pilot bearing. Not bad enough to cause major problems but one on it's way to being a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I solved that problem by installing late 1st gear anchor block, thrust block and one piece brake band, along with late 1st synchro. Even fresh rebuild with double brake band system grinds as u describe. Sorry I’ve never found anything else that works.
    Good to know thanks, I will try new cable and adjustment and call it a day if that doesn’t do it.
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

I always instinctively shift into second gear before first even when stopped. Seems to work well for me.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress