Thread: '73 Oil Change Advice

'73 Oil Change Advice

1. Aside from the additional oil requirement, any special consideration needed to deal with the oil in the external "trombone" cooler?
    2. Will take a look at valve clearance, change S hose, and look at a potentially bad oil level sender. Any other good preventative maintenance measures to be taken while the oil is out?

Thanks
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

There is no drain for the front cooler and lines, so therefore no additional oil requirement. I ALWAYS remove the sump plate and check for anything caught in the screen.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

1st 911 Oil Change

Ed,

Thanks. I guess I was thinking I needed more oil based capacity in the manual, but if it doesn't come out it doesn't need to go in. I should have read the note. I will plan to take the sump plate off as well. I know there is a lot of discussion on this topic, but I would really like to know specifically your valve cover gasket of choice. Really appreciate your time and advice.

Name:  Oil Capacity.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  37.5 KB
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

If your rear to front lines are original the info is correct. If aftermarket like Elephant Racing lines then there is a Schrader valve to blow out most, not all of the oil up front. With duel triple loop trombones I run 14 quarts. High quality oil changes cost a little more than when I ran a 4 quart 616 912 engine.
    As to which oil is best, I don't think that one will ever be settled.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Awesome View Post
    Ed,

Thanks. I guess I was thinking I needed more oil based capacity in the manual, but if it doesn't come out it doesn't need to go in. I should have read the note. I will plan to take the sump plate off as well. I know there is a lot of discussion on this topic, but I would really like to know specifically your valve cover gasket of choice. Really appreciate your time and advice.

Name:  Oil Capacity.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  37.5 KB
    We use the normal graphite ones for customer cars, but I do have the silicone ones on one of my cars. They seem to work well, they've survived several cleanings and reinstalls so far.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

With the car being new to you, I would also stick your finger up into the oil tank drain and see what sediment you "may" find in there. may be a good spot for some additional cleaning. What you cant get out with your finger but can feel it try a bent wire to dig around and some brake clean sprayed in thru the drain hole let flow into your drain pan then wipe with a piece of lint free cloth. May be surprising what is living in there.
    Regards