Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOS Hirschmann 4900 LS 14 in original box

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Do you have documentation of this ever being factory or dealer recommended? I'd love to see it. Kind of an obsession of mine. I have documentation from Vasek Polak, on their letterhead, of the Auta 4900 LS 18 being the factory recommended antenna but never the shorter Auta 4900 LS 14.
    What’s your definition of “factory” and “dealer” in “factory or dealer recommended”? The Hirschmann factory/dealer or the Porsche factory/dealer?
    The recommendation by the Hirschmann factory is clear by their catalogue and that is what I referred to.

Whether the Porsche factory made a recommendation to Importers/Dealers/Buyers via a Rundschreiben/Circular or other, or not, I do not know. The same goes for Importers to Dealers/Buyers and Dealers to Buyers. And if they did, I would not know if they did it consciously. Maybe they just took the last of the list in the Hirschmann catalogue? Maybe it was an AM lover or just fan of large antennas? Or maybe the “18” was first on the market or most popular/“known”. I would think the Porsche factory/Importers/Dealers had only the Hirschmann catalogue at hand to write their recommendation down. 180 CM compared too 110 CM by the factory antenna seems rather weird, if there is a 140 CM option. You do not need that lenght for FM for sure.

Can you please post a scan of the VP letter you have? For what it is worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    What’s your definition of “factory” and “dealer” in “factory or dealer recommended”? The Hirschmann factory/dealer or the Porsche factory/dealer?

Can you please post a scan of the VP letter you have? For what it is worth...
    I was asking if you happened to have any information regarding the Porsche factory or Porsche dealers recommending this antenna. I understand that Hirschmann recommended this antenna for our cars as they have numerous antennas over the years. I agree that yours looks fine when not extended although, for the asking price ($750 euros plus shipping and Paypal), a buyer should be able to find an LS18 model.

I believe that I've posted the VP letter before. Let me find it.

I agree that yours looks fine when not extended although, for the asking price ($750 euros plus shipping and Paypal), a buyer should be able to find an LS18 model.

Thanks for the bump.
    Why on Earth would you prefer a too long LS18 over a LS14?
    Why would the Porsche factory have an opinion on universal antennas? Of course they can do a look up when somebody asks for it. However, Porsche itself knew just about part 901.645.301.00 at the time.
    And if they did a conscious recommendation about an alternative universal antenna, it doesn’t need to be the same for Europe and US as FM and AM are used differently (e.g. ranges and KHz increments) leading to other optimal lenghts.
    Last edited by Adore911; 10-01-2019 at 02:48 AM.

I understand that Hirschmann recommended this antenna for our cars as they have numerous antennas over the years.
    The 4900 LS14 and LS18 were produced at the same time and recommended next to each other, in the same catalogues, distributed and valid at the moment our cars were delivered!

We are not talking about what Hirschmann made and recommended later as from end 1973 onwards till today.

I agree that yours looks fine
    There is no need to make a value judgement in that case, as they are just “identical” outside.
    Last edited by Adore911; 10-01-2019 at 09:43 AM.

You’ve referred to such letter several times in the last three years, but unless I am mistaken, you have never published the letter.

If anyone else is able to prove a LS18 would be more correct than a LS14, this would be of great value to all of us.

The only documentation I have seen sofar, makes them at least equally valuable. In terms of length, the LS14 would even be the most logic choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    You’ve referred to such letter several times in the last three years, but unless I am mistaken, you have never published the letter.
    Could have sworn I did but I can't find it either. I'll dig it out when I'm back in Texas.

This perfectly suitable and excellent NOS antenna is still available.
    Rare opportunity.
    Last edited by Adore911; 10-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Free bump