Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Neat to see these bits of history. Definitely early racing go fast stuff…

https://msroadrace.com/Porsche-911-R...00-Center-Lube

Reminds me of a sister car to yours (9114609073). When it’s motor was opened up, we found some of these Schrick cams…

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-housings.html

They were deemed too high strung to be useful. Good luck with your search for the cam towers!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    ......Good luck with your search for the cam towers!
    ....Thanks Peter......I think we all wished we had a time machine!

Fortunately my engine builder already has a set of cam towers for me. My understanding is that 74-76 housings had 4 journals and these just need a little modifcation and machine work to allow for the oil ways.

Cheers,

Cool stuff either way!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Paint....

It's beginning to look like we're in serious danger of actually finishing the shell! ....

Cheers,

Mirror, mirror on the wall. Whose the fairest of them all.
    This car obviously.
    Man that is looking incredible.
    Can't wait to see some more assembly of this beast.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    ....Can't wait to see some more assembly of this beast.
    Thanks Doug, you and me both!

"Perfetto!"
    perfetto.jpg
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    "Perfetto!"
    Very kind Patrick, thank you........although even nicer now it's polished ....

Cheers,

Whale Tail

The final item needed to complete the shell was the Whale Tail. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I acquired one of the original prototype tails that were fitted to the IROC cars however with the introduction of the 3.0 RS/RSR these Group 4 tails had acquired a rubber outer lip rather than being solid and this is what I really wanted.

Naturally I would have liked an original item however these are nigh on impossible to find and I was slightly put off from the one source that mentioned they could help by the £10K quotation!

I noted at CLM this year that all bar one of the RS/RSR cars competing simply chose to paint on the lip or use vinyl. I guess this is of minor importance on a race car but it looks kinda pants and the decision is a definite twenty-footer!....

...the original tails have a distinct edge where the fibreglass and lip join and obviously a textured rubber finish to the lip itself...

Wanting to do a little more than simply paint the lip on we decided to use a reproduction tail from EB motorsport and set about trying to create a defining edge where the fibreglass and lip meet....

...looking pretty good by the time it got to undercoat....

...it looked even better by the time it reached colour, but not according to Chris who decided to paint it again! :roll: ....

....for the lip itself we decided to use a Teroson undercoat which is a textured rubber finish that doesn't need overpainting...

...and tested a few variations to obtain the ideal texture....

...and after some careful masking to the centre of the groove....

...the end result turned out pretty good....

...not original and not perfect but more a five-footer rather than a twenty-footer and good enough that most people won't notice it's not a genuine item!

Overall very pleased with the outcome

Cheers,