Thread: Aluminium engine case studs

Aluminium engine case studs

Can any one help me with some technical advice/information?

I have a 1967 Porsche 911 with an Aluminium engine case. This case was apart when I got it.

The problem I have is it didn't have the 2 engine studs,(main bearing 7), that fit down the dowel sleeves at the flywheel end of the case.

I have managed to get new studs which are 8mm x 1.5mm pitch one end and 8mm x 1mm pitch at the other end.

Because the original studs were missing, am I right in thinking that the 8mm coarse thread of the stud screws into one half of the aluminium case.and the fine pitch end of the stud goes through the other half of the engine case and is held with a 8 x 1mm plain/locknut ?

Is this correct?.

Regards,

James
    Last edited by 246jaenick; 10-06-2017 at 12:09 AM.

The main bearing at the flywheel end of the case is the #1 main bearing . All the studs I have seen are 10 mm x 1.5 thread .

Engine studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    The main bearing at the flywheel end of the case is the #1 main bearing . All the studs I have seen are 10 mm x 1.5 thread .

Richy,
    My stupid typing error. Yes the studs are 10mm x 1.5mm at one end but 10mm x 1mm pitch at the other.
    I bought these studs from EBS racing in Reno. They came from from ARP who supply studs to the motor/race car industry.
    As far as I have been told 911 67/68 aluminium engine cases had these 2 studs with 10 x 1mm fine pitch threads one and 10 x 1.5mm the other.
    I am still not sure if these are correct.
    Regards,
    Jim.

Have you tried to screw either end of the stud into the case?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hello 246 ,
    Newer engines , '78 ? have through bolts with fine threads . I believe you have the new style stud to go with the new through bolts . You can buy two new fine thread nuts to go with the studs .

Richy,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Have you any idea where I can get hold of these 2 original type studs that have M10 X 11.5mm threads at both ends?
    I have the M10 x 1mm nuts that go with the fine thread studs that I bought from EBS but I would like to keep this engine as original as possible.
    Regards,
    Jim.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Someone out here has a damaged case that would pull the two studs and sell them. The thread pitch at the cap nut end should match the thru bolts thread pitch. Coarse thread thru bolts went up through Mag cases circa 1977. Fine thread started with the new die cast ALU cases. Gordon

Wow , I'm obsessive but I don't think I would worry about two nuts that look the same and will be behind the oil cooler . There will be many other more important originality issues to resolve .