Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 73 RS MFI pump 019

Bob, I feel your pump is the real deal. Trying not to turn your for sale thread into a history of the MFI pump.
    Quoting the RS book, MFI pump housing changed alloys in November 27, 1972. That is from mag to aluminum. Gearby was correct that it changed in stages. I am a little confused after looking at my pump. All aluminum but has a date stamp of 35th week of 72. Sometime in August. That is a casting date. Maybe they didn't start using them on the RS until 11/72.
    Those who are interested, I have attached a pic of a all aluminum pump. Gus could clear this up, but don't want to call him over trivia. If nothing else, Bob is getting a free bump on his RS pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

228 would decode as August 1972 assembly date of this pump?

E59FD405-F5B7-4ED6-A58E-D72C6B3258D9.jpeg

29E55637-6BCF-449B-9EE6-8AAEB177F350.jpeg

Source of the table: http://www.gosler.de/bjunkers.htm

Not sure why old thread activated but the casting mark on metal looks like week number 19 72 would be week commencing 8 May 1972?

Yes the number reflects the week of casting: week 19 of 1972.

228 seems to reflect that this pump was assembled in August 1972.

The plate I am used to seeing (still on pumps attached to known RS cars, not orphan pumps) is black on silver, not red(ish) on silver. Also the serial number spacing seems different ( closer together) to what I’m typically used to seeing on cars I know . Haven’t seen them all of course.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-30-2022 at 07:00 AM.

It is a snippet from the photo from the original post, see page 1.

6B77592E-83F8-4F8A-887D-67397AB99BC7.jpeg