Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: @2016 Goodings Amelia Island - 1970 Porsche 911 2.3 ST

Quote Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
    I am here this weekend at Amelia Island so snapped a few extra photos of the car yesterday at the Gooding preview. I didn't specifically photograph the roll bar but you can see from the front picture I took that it has a diagonal cross member with high side on right side (passenger side in this LHD car) of the car. I didn't inspect the cage very closely but it appears like a modern, full welded in cage.

The hood has the center fill cap which appears to be a standard cap and not a finned one. Currently the car is fitted with a temporary fuel cell routed to the standard fender filler door. From the markings on the cell which you can read in the photo, this is intended to be a temporary fuel cell and there's a note that the center fill cell is missing the bladder.

Attachment 371500Attachment 371501Attachment 371502Attachment 371503
    This car never was a original factory rally car the rear strut domes are not reinforced......
    Porsche 911 S 1971 Kremer race car

Quote Originally Posted by wgm View Post
    Original livery with plates 4833-QC-91

Attachment 370982
    The same car during the GP de Paris 1972. Some differences.
    GP_Paris_72_051_w.jpg

I had not seen that photo at the Paris GP in 1972 before BUT I am not convinced that the car #9 above is 911 030 0949. Those license plates were Louis Meznarie's and I have seen them on more than one car so I suspect that he shifted them from one car to another.

Here are a couple of photos of a car with the same plates at the mount Ventoux hill climb in 1971 or 1972 (happy if anyone knows the proper date)
    I understand that this is Larousse's "company car" that he later bought (or was given) by Porsche and I think it is 911 130 0612

New Picture.pngNew Picture (1).png

I think that they are a different car again to the on shown above (cross bar on roll bar goes in opposite direction) - although other features are similar
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thank you, Hugh.

I think that this is the Mont-Ventoux Hill climb 1972. The precise date was the 18th of June.

Thanks for confirming the date. It makes sense that it could be the same car (despite the different configuration of the roll bar) I heard indirectly from Meznarie a couple of years ago that the Larousse company car was originally red and then repainted blue. I always thought that the Mont Ventoux car was silver from the photos but apparently it was a light blue. The other photos look like the underlying colour could be red - so that fits in as well
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

The GP de Paris 1972 (above picture with number 9) was the 6th of April 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
    I don't believe there are 2 cars with the same chassis number, or that the provenance of this ST (9110300949) up for auction at Amelia Island is in question. It's slightly confusing because "ST" is a catch-all for a small number of cars which were works race/rally cars but each had slightly different build specs (all short stroke MFI race motors of 2.2 - 2.5L, some fiberglass panels and other chassis lightening, rear wheel flares, etc). Further confusing the matter is that this ST with a 10 digit serial number (9110300949 - see two "0s" before "949") was an ST that was built as a Porsche factory rally car originally with a 2.2L race motor. There's a different car with a 9 digit serial number (911030949 - see one "0" before "949") which was a 2.4L prototype for the 911S but is also lumped in with other STs that were factory race/rally cars from inception.

Separately this car 9110300949 was painted with the same livery as the 1970 Tour de France winning ST in 1971, but is not the car that won TdF. Yet confusingly this car 9110300949 was first purchased from Porsche after it was done as a works rally car by Gérard Larrousse, who was the works driver that won '70 TdF in another chassis. So between the similar chassis numbers, common ownership / driver situation, and replicated livery it's a confusing situation. But again I think this car up for auction 9110300949 is pretty well documented at this point and it's provenance isn't really in question.
    In the list sent by the board to the members of the forum of the vehicles that make up this group, I wonder why this chassis is listed as a 1972.

1972 S/T Coupe

in that case it would not be a 1970 S/T?