Thread: Period Reference information regarding Bosch Sportfanfaren for those interested...

Period Reference information regarding Bosch Sportfanfaren for those interested...

I have read the various threads on horns for model Year 1972 and model year 1973.

Thought this information might be useful and of interest, because it is period Bosch and a couple of other Porsche information sources from 1972/3 that I have among my papers. I ran across this stuff when doing some tidying of my parts and literature.

These are my two spare sets of nos boxed with papers and tags 12v Sport Fanfaren image.jpgimage.jpg

The main functional difference being one set is 0321 023 908 "ohne" relais and the other is 0 321 023 910 "mit" Relais; I don't have the third boxed set variant but as the wiring is in the car I'm not fretting.
    image.jpg

These Sport Fanfaren horn-sets of this exact type are included in the the following Bosch All-service programm pocketbook for the period 1972/3 (print dated 10.72 which is coincidentally roughly the time of the 911 model year 1973 production would be getting going strong after the MY changes).

My own British market car was in production in late 72 but it is definitely model year 73. (The called 73.5 variant popular in USA was not here in UK or in number of other country-markets for that matter -- although they have and do still get imported here)
    image.jpg

Additionally, I have a much more detailed Handlesliste a German Bosch publication for 1972- this is a fairly comprehensive catalogue covering a wide variety of Bosch automotive produscts running to circa 100 pages (it is print dated 4.72)

image.jpg
    This 4/72 date coincides with (the small reference date that printed in the white box but not readable in photo) of the large format Bosch advert that appeared for the same type of Sport Fanfaren in both my English and German Christophorus no 102 December 1972 and no 119 November 1972 respectively (this was the well known issue/s featuring the then new early series RS on the cover).

image.jpg

The more detailed of these two Bosch catalogues gives more specific information on the Sport Fanfaren horn sets including their marque/ model fitment - a list that includes the 911.

image.jpg

Also it provides details of the actual items that make up the boxed package shown above including the product number for each of the two horns along with the Hz and V (and other the relay etc if applicable)...number matches from table corresponds to the numbers stamped on trumpets both my nos sets pictured above)
    image.jpg

For interest, I cross referenced this to my original model year 72/3 Porsche maroon parts books - particularly the edition dated 9.1972 rather than the later printings of the same. The illustration shown diagrammatically (item 60) in photo below corresponds to the horn in the Bosch publication illustration in third image above. Publication from Bosch with the Sport Fanfaren is evidently a contemporary of that edition of the 72/3 Porsche parts book given the printing date reference 10.72 - as shown in margin small print in picture at bottom of this post).

(For simplicity I will leave aside that uniquely cars for Swiss-market apparently had a unique horn specified in this Porsche spare parts book)

image.jpg

I hope that going back to original 1972/73 documents from both Porsche and their actual component supplier Bosch's own product 72/3 information sources, (all date marked and from the period in question), is of interest regarding the Fanfaren horns that the equipment supplier was producing and selling around that particular time. Such items seem quite scarce if in NOS condition and apparently can command high asking prices these days.

My horns and papers shown here are not for sale - this is posted just for information of interested forum members.

(This post does not really belong in the Essex UK section but that is apparently the only place I can create a new thread in this forum I think?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-29-2015 at 02:03 PM.

In addition to the December 1972 English edition with new RS on the cover, this advert featuring the so called Banjo or Waffle style Bosch Sport Fanfares also appeared in August 1969 Christophorus English edition. Product might appear in other editions of the publication, but just tripped over it in this edition when looking for an article on another topic so I've added it here in case of interest to owners of cars from 69/70.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-10-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Very informative, thank you!
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Sport fanfare ad from 1973 in British weekly
    image.jpg

Might it be that Porsche changed the Bosch Fanfaren to the Stritone ( Mixo and/or Klaxon) around December 72 because of this new regulation for vehicle audible warning devices that came into force around start of calendar year 73 ?

4EA0995D-7A76-440E-9B08-108CFA166C3F.jpg

I didn’t copy all the detail of the regulation and test protocols etc here but one detail that is pertinent is that audible devices needed to show the E mark from that date. Stritones I’ve seen usually have E2 (France) moulded into the plastic.
    B7EFE0F7-9CE8-45F1-A082-3F2E4C1C660A.jpg

Typically Stritones compliance is indicated by the E mark whereas the Bosch Fanfaren I’ve seen do not bear that E mark. There may have been a period where the old stock were consumed but a new Porsche hitting the road would have had to comply with this regulation 28 as it came into force in those country markets that had adopted it. Allowing for delivery lead times Porsche may have had make some changes to fit compliant “audible devices” ?

I’m no expert on the small details of such regulations. When I was the group director of operations for a well known automotive OEM plc and one of the two directors accountable of their automotive engineering division that developed vehicles for other OEMs we were fortunate to have expertise in the engineering and operations teams that managed regulatory compliance detailed matters. I don’t recall any issue of that sort ever being escalated to me in those roles but obviously there are no prizes for designing and building vehicles that are not complaint with the ever changing regulations in the many different regional markets!

Interesting to note a related comment in a Bosch advert (see my prior post). Ad appeared in a 1973 British motoring weekly — it specifically mentions complying with the new regulation. Don’t think I’ve seen Bosch Fanfaren so called banjo from the long-hood period with the E mark?

Maybe just a coincidence that Porsche supplier of horns change happened around the time of new regulation 28. Bosch as a leading innovative original equipment supplier to the industry deal with regulations so it seems unlikely they’d not be able to supply compliant products. From this comment ( circled) it seems Bosch did have suitable product at some point around 73:

6171AD6F-B1BD-498E-BE44-F04FCF2E7603.jpeg

This U.K. advert mentions 1 August 73 for tbe new regulation so possibly different countries adopted regulation 28 at different dates. Great Britain only joined what was then called “common market” on 1 Jan 73 so possibly that was a timing factor as European markets let alone global markets were less harmonised back then I suppose?

Steve

PS related to Clyde’s thread on mounting brackets note the advert illustration shows the mounting bracket ( brackets without Porsche number) integral to the Bosch prodict. This advert is generic not Porsche specific drawing. Likewise illustration in my Bosch vintage Catalogue Pretty sure the ones I have NOS in box, especially pair that has the factory paper wrapped around them so clearly never messed with, has these flat thin mounts already attached.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 11-15-2022 at 06:14 PM.

Steve, you have such a nice collection of printed material

Steve,
    Thank you for confirming that Bosch shipped/sold their Banjo horns with the spring brackets.

Best,
    Ravi
    ------------------------------------------------
    1971 911T/2.45 engine spec Coupe / Gold Metallic on Black
    1995 911 C2 / Guards Red on Cashmere Beige (Sold)

Haven’t looked at them in a while. I’d better double check the Nos BNIB pair when I’m in storage. The one with the papers wrapped around the middle of each horn clearly were never fitted as those flimsy paper loops don’t slip on and off the wider parts without tearing.
    5B6D4B4C-991E-4A7A-BE54-3A2CD6F7B567.jpeg

Steve

Steve,

as always..excellent work

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    In addition to the December 1972 English edition with new RS on the cover, this advert featuring the so called Banjo or Waffle style Bosch Sport Fanfares also appeared in August 1969 Christophorus English edition. Product might appear in other editions of the publication, but just tripped over it in this edition when looking for an article on another topic so I've added it here in case of interest to owners of cars from 69/70.
    image.jpg
    Note the comment that I’ve circled. Also web-tool translation below . By appearing in Porsches’ in house flagship magazine might it suggest that the Bosch Fanfaren of this bright red (so called banjo) design was a fairly new product to the market around Sumner of 1969… a product that became available roughly around the time of the model year 70 changes? Of course Porsche being a customer they would have been aware of Bosch product development roadmaps and made necessary changes before the product was available on the general retail after-market or it ever appeared in public domain in such adverts. Being a marketing advert it might of course be a bit misleading.

B82CCE53-422E-4893-A76B-EE43F674BD7D.jpg

Taking the comment at face value is the Fanfaren (aka banjo) lifespan bookended more clearly from this information —at least “close enough for government work” ?

If so, summary: the bright red horn product from OEM supplier Bosch was available around the summer of 1969 (approximating with Porsche model year 70 changeover) and then used in most markets ( with a few exceptions like Switzerland) until it was superseded about 3.5 years later by red Stritones so that vehicles that would be on the road from around the beginning calendar 1973 were fitted with “e marked” product that complied with the newly introduced international automotive regulatory standard for audible warning devices?

Steve

PS fir reference I have seen example used pair date code 908 offered for sale here so made April 1969 although not attached to a Porsche so from another marque ?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-14-2022 at 04:34 AM.