Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting into the early 911s hobby - feedback about potential purchase

Getting into the early 911s hobby - feedback about potential purchase

Hi,

I am considering buying an early 911 since many, many years. Now that I managed to build up the necessary funds I am looking at various ads.

I live over in Switzerland and a guy is selling a Bahia red 2.2t from 1971. He claims the car is matching numbers which I will assess when he emails me all the VIN numbers.

I asked for some pics and would like to have your honest opinion about the car (for the time being I only have pictures of the outside, one pic from the undercarriage.

I suspect that the seller bought the car from BHCC as it seems that the licence plate holder displays the same type of writing as they show on their ads.

He says the car was never restored. There are evidence of a respray in the boot however. I guess that the two black spots on the front suspension domes are due to some welding ??

I know it is hard without seeing the interior to give a ballpark figure of the value but it would be definitely useful to get an idea

Thanks in advance,

Philippe

Name:  1971 2.2t (1).jpg
Views: 489
Size:  57.3 KBName:  1971 2.2t (2).jpg
Views: 466
Size:  73.1 KBName:  1971 2.2t (3).jpg
Views: 517
Size:  60.8 KBName:  1971 2.2t (4).jpg
Views: 506
Size:  84.8 KBName:  1971 2.2t (5).jpg
Views: 497
Size:  84.3 KBName:  1971 2.2t (6).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  82.9 KB

Banned
    Philippe,

Welcome to the community.

$35k-$55k.
    Small bulls eye would be a challenge based on your description and limited photos.

Looks like a pretty honest old girl from underneath.

This seems like a possible scam to me, those pictures posted are from BHCC photo "studio". Are you saying someone over in Europe has possession of this car? Better touch and feel this car in person.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Hi,

He is importing the car and it should arrive in ca. 10 days. I know from the vintage VW hobby that lots of cars are now reimported to Europe, mostly from CA. This car is one of them. I asked the seller for additional pics of the inside and front part of the undercarriage. He informed me that the engine has been overhauled. Which specific points need more attention when asking information about the work done on the engine ? Obviously chain tensioners, Piston/Cylinder, rings, springs, carbs. I am not familiar with the flat6 engine but more with the flat4 .

Thanks for your input !

Banned
    Simply ask for the engine rebuild invoice.

Without that you should assume it hasn't been rebuilt.

Has 2.4 1973 trim. Never restored ?

Maybe better to pay a little bit more and getting one already in Switzerland.
    Autoscout.ch gives you a good idea otherwise I know a mechanic (mine).
    But good cars are not cheap anymore, including T's. good luck with your search !
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-06-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Sorry for my ignorance but which trim do you mean? The "Porsche" and engine size lettering? It is missing the front bumper trim.

Black engine lid grill and lettering ('72-'73 style), lenses has black trim ('73 style). Hard to tell if the Fuchs wheels are early 'deep six' or later 'flat six' ('72-) 6x15's.

Quote Originally Posted by 1974phil View Post
    front bumper trim.
    A front spoiler itself was never mounted on 2.2l models…Rear view "flag" mirror is 2.4l too. Imo you need much better infos about the car and some infos currently provided to you are already a little bit doubtful.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-06-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Also hard to tell from the photos, but a '70-'71 car should have basket weave type vinyl on the dash and door cards, '72-'73 cars have smooth vinyl. Black paint on the shock towers are per the factory.