Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: high pitched whine on high speed corners

wouldn't there be visual evidence of play, blueing, pitting, scratching or Brinelling if there was a problem?

also, the grease inside looked and felt fine - it was only the grease that got past the seal that looked ugly

I take your point re the serious safety consequences of a rapid failure. If there was a competent shop within 100 miles, I'd take it in, but there isn't.
    Last edited by 37yrold911; 09-10-2015 at 11:05 AM.

We can lead you to water but we cannot make you drink.

If you don' want to do it that's your call. They are a wear item and I'd rather be safe that sorry. Your bearings "may" have more life in them BUT your car isn't new and neither are they. Peace of mind is all I can offer as an excuse and the fact that they are old and perhaps tired.

In the end it's whatever makes you happy.

Be happy.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    wouldn't there be visual evidence of play, blueing, pitting, scratching or Brinelling if there was a problem?

also, the grease inside looked and felt fine - it was only the grease that got past the seal that looked ugly

I take your point re the serious safety consequences of a rapid failure. If there was a competent shop within 100 miles, I'd take it in, but there isn't.
    It's like protecting and preserving the climate: An pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure.

Are you a preventive maintenance denier?

member #1515
    You are already in there, just take care of a possible future problem.The maintenance schedules back in the day were much shorter than on todays cars. And that is when they were driven! Today most of our cars average 5k or less a year, do your maintenance by time not mileage.
    I just got a VW, and the dealer told me the first service was at 10k miles!
    What? I would have thought 1 or 2k miles for the first oil change. Of course maintenance is included for the first 60k.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I am quite serious about preventative maintenance and the wheel bearings are the only mechanical thing on this car I have not torn apart - but it seems to me that bearings usually "give notice" before failing; that metal would show some visual signs when examined.

I also lack the specialized tools to drive the races.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    I am quite serious about preventative maintenance and the wheel bearings are the only mechanical thing on this car I have not torn apart - but it seems to me that bearings usually "give notice" before failing; that metal would show some visual signs when examined.

I also lack the specialized tools to drive the races.

Thanks for all the help.
    You may or may not see the wear. I have some cool BMW engine bearings (the neat spherical ones) that "appear" nice but are shot. They make fun "worry beads".

Tools are out here. Check Amazon or Ebay. Baum, Sir Tools and ZDMAK are regulars on the net. The red box is over-kill. The other one is ZDMAK. Cheap.

Search: "porsche wheel bearing driver"
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Banned
    Or go old school like we do at the track.
    Punch and hammer.

This is truly a 101 job that I would give to a new trainee... or even a teenager. IF they actually knew what a punch and hammer were.

If it's 101, then I can go punch & hammer - Thanks!