Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: R, RS and RSR clone cars, hot rods, R gruppe cars, or otherwise for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    BAT has become a place for cheerleaders
    Tom, I think many of us agree with your sentiment. This car was very well sold.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Everyone wants something a little different in their hot rod but that sales price blows me away. If I was going to build something on a M491 chassis it would be a SC/RS clone. But a big congrats to the seller and BAT, my guess is we'll see a few more RSR clones on BAT very soon.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Based on this sale and a couple recent AK cars in this price range, the market for well done and high end clones is well over the $0.50 per dollar spent ROI rule of thumb... But at this price range, will they be driven much?

Quote Originally Posted by jimxyz View Post
    Based on this sale and a couple recent AK cars in this price range, the market for well done and high end clones is well over the $0.50 per dollar spent ROI rule of thumb... But at this price range, will they be driven much?
    I've built a couple where the market was $1.30 per $1 spent to build. It's doable. You have to know where a buyer will appreciate spare-no-expense spending and where it's just wasteful.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Keep in mind that to call a car a clone it has to be perfect. That's the definition. What I hear being said here I that this may be more of a tribute car.

Clone: Cloning is a form of reproduction. Cloning is the process of making a genetically identical organism. The key word here is identical. If someone is going to clone a Brumos car then it has to be a perfect reproduction Not close - perfect.

Replica: This is a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision. The key element here is that the replica must be made under the supervision of the original artist. In the case of a car the original artisans must be involved.

Tribute: Art can be a tribute to an event or a person. You might also create a car as a tribute. The most common tribute over the past few years is creating a car or a motorcycle in tribute to the twin towers that were destroyed on 9-11. Last year an art display was created as a tribute to the Orlando shooting victims. I could say that my 911 is a tribute to Ferry Porsche.

Richard Newotn

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Well, that may be one of the highest quality builds that some of us have seen. A well documented build, and no corners cut. I've not seen the BaT car in person, but it makes me wonder what other well documented clones or tributes might bring. For example, I have seen Scott Longballa's '72 ST re-creation in person, and I'm pretty certain that would bring top dollar as well.
    Indeed... I am the new owner of Scott Longballa's '72 ST recreation. It traded in the neighborhood of the BAT RSR clone. But still a situation where you don't get all of what you put into the car. It's reasonable to guess that Scott invested 30-50% more in the build than what it ultimately sold for. But I am happily the beneficiary of all of Scott's great work as well as that of craftsmanship of John Esposito, Jeff Gamroth, Harvey Weidman, Tony Garcia, et al.
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars

Quote Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
    Indeed... I am the new owner of Scott Longballa's '72 ST recreation. It traded in the neighborhood of the BAT RSR clone. But still a situation where you don't get all of what you put into the car. It's reasonable to guess that Scott invested 30-50% more in the build than what it ultimately sold for. But I am happily the beneficiary of all of Scott's great work as well as that of craftsmanship of John Esposito, Jeff Gamroth, Harvey Weidman, Tony Garcia, et al.
    Your car's provenance is beyond reproach.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by lee88 View Post
    as Tom said...

.lets see those Alfas!!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by joelrkaplan View Post
    .lets see those Alfas!!!!...
    OT... Italians. The Giulietta is a restoration project which I haven't made much progress on yet unfortunately. But the Giulia Sprint GT is great, restored with a GTA-style vibe (no bumpers, GTA wheels, GTA trumpets on Webers, no brake booster, etc). The Lancia is a very correct concours car.

IMG_4157.jpgIMG_3511.jpgIMG_3505.jpgIMG_4158.jpg

But back to the hot rod 911s...
    =======
    Out driving new & old Porsches and non P-cars

You can build a ferrari from a bare rusted frame and it's not a clone, It's a Ferrari. Sometimes I think Porsche guys are too hard on themselves.