Thread: “Colorise” magnesium and aluminium parts in darkgrey

“Colorise” magnesium and aluminium parts in darkgrey

Hello together,
    actually I have some „glass blasted“ magnesium and aluminum parts like MFI manifolds and fans and would like to color them. The color should become like the original finish. I have seen several times parts in a nice finish in dark grey. I know, I could use ceramic paint, but I would like to try something else….

Does anybody of you know, how you could create such a finish?

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 08.13.08.png
Views: 553
Size:  852.1 KB

Phosphoric acid will darker magnesium. I'm not sure about aluminum though. To darken a freshly blasted fan I used a sprayed on a diluted solution of phosphoric acid and water. Certain wheel cleaners contain phosphoric acid as the active ingredient and that's what I used, just diluted 50/50. I sprayed it on, waited 30 seconds and then thoroughly rinsed the fan. After it dried I used Gibbs on the fan. My fan turned out a few shades darker and I am very happy with the result. I can post photos from my computer if you'd like. I'm not sure what effect the phosphoric acid would have on the gold zinc part or aluminum so a test is highly recommended. Those throttle bodies look beautiful, I'm not sure I'd touch them at all. You might try treating them with Gibbs, that may darker them a bit.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Banned
    Nick,
    Please post pics of your fan when you get a chance. Thanks.

BTW: I'm guessing those aren't his TB's...

Just learned I can add a photo from my iPad.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Thanks a lot for feedback and the idea…phosphoric acid sound interesting. It’s a nice effect, but probably not the same procedure. In Europe I found nobody, who could do it as a service. Actually I am using ceramic paints, but it’s not like the originals treatment and finsih.

In the beginning I powdercoated the fans... I also know about the Magnesium Treat Kit from Henkel, but with this kit you only can get a black finish.
    Last edited by Elferhelfer; 05-26-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Hello together after all your feedback and some research I could find some more information about the “correct” treatment of the magnesium parts. I found a nice homepage, which gives a nice overview about several treatments from Porsche magnesium parts:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/my9146gt..._sample_finish

Probably these information were already known in the forum….

I am still looking for the coorect procedure of the “greyish” finish. It seems it’s the “Dow 7” treatment…

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/magnesium.html

member #1515
    The factory applied a chromate treatment to all magnesium parts to stabilize then some type of oil or wax to detain corrosion. The chromate gives a dull grey finish.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Elferhelfer View Post
    Thanks a lot for feedback and the idea…phosphoric acid sound interesting. It’s a nice effect, but probably not the same procedure. In Europe I found nobody, who could do it as a service. Actually I am using ceramic paints, but it’s not like the originals treatment and finsih.

In the beginning I powdercoated the fans... I also know about the Magnesium Treat Kit from Henkel, but with this kit you only can get a black finish.

o together after all your feedback and some research I could find some more information about the “correct” treatment of the magnesium parts. I found a nice homepage, which gives a nice overview about several treatments from Porsche magnesium parts:
    I think alan.uk does fan restoration. Not sure about colouring though.

There seems to be several fan restoration services, I had mine done by Jason Lightner, he goes by the handle flyingjay on the bird. I only mention this b/c I haven't seen him mentioned on the Registry.
    MBR #2637
    AKA boschdog
    1968 911 Normal Coupe
    Houston, Texas