Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

Phase 1 is complete, only took 7 years! The body is shaped, complete and together. Phase 2 begins, the mechanical. Then phase 3, final assembly and finishing of body and interior. Never give up! Thanks for Wray Schelin at Pro Shaper for making dreams come true. I took his class on metal shaping years ago, learned some skills and he and me went crazy on my dream, an aluminum 550 Spyder. This is that dream realized.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Well done !
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

wray to go
    i mean way to go........................

inspiring stuff
    LOVE IT !
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Congrats, that is a nice step!

Antoine

According to science a group of Spyders is called a Cluster. My car and 550-0054.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Phase 2 has begun. Bill and me assessed the things we need to do to get the car operational and decided to start on the steering. I have an original 550 steering column, which is a good deal shorter then a 356. But we had the problem that the 550 steering column is much farther in board then in a 356. We moved the steering box and drilled a new hole in the bulkhead. It lined up nicely. We had a little day left so we started placing the shifter and ran the cables for the cable shift.
    Also lined up the e-brake with the one in Bill's car, it was a close match. Bill and I worked well together so I think this will flow pretty smooth moving forward.

Today was pedal day. We first had to make and fit the bar that holds the pedals. Luckily we knew exactly where to put it since Bill's Spyder 550-0054 was a few inches away! The pedals were drilled and fitted, then the bar was welded in. It fit with my plan of showing progress every time we touch the car.

---Adam

great pictures
    keep them coming
    utilizing the other car while it is there for "take offs" will save you hundreds of hours

Now that is one sturdy pedal cluster!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100