Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate 1969 Soft Window Targa (SWT) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mounger View Post
    . . . hate to admit it but I can't figure out how to post a photo so, I've sent one to Eric and told him he was free to do so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by john rice View Post
    . . . Thank you both for that image . . .

Post ---- + pic . . . deleted

. . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . a 69 912 SWT is on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301877453197...m=301877453197

Engine# 830536

Paint code 6837-L (Coco Brown) . . .

. . . Daphne, AL
    Attached Images Attached Images           

We Can Be Heroes

Another claimed 69 912 SWT on eBay at moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262410281322...m=262410281322

Ad text:
    Testing the market for my Porsche 912
    Its a very rare Soft Window build in 1969
    There are only 13 of them known in 69, not like the other years.
    109.000 Miles Matching Numbers Car.
    1582cc / 90hp
    New Soft Window
    Un-restored car, and great daily driver.
    Zero Rust.
    Fully Documented with COA, Owners Manual , Tools Service records etc.
    I dont need any help selling this car!

Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 623
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 609
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views: 612
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views: 595
Size:  81.5 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

A documented 69 912 for sale at auction

VIN: 129010445
    Engine: 4095152
    Trans: 5192216 (902/05)
    Color: Metallic Blue (6853)/Black Leatherette

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23596/lot/36/

Name:  129010445_CoA.png
Views: 543
Size:  221.8 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Time to post again this rare pricelist (March 1971) for late 1971 models…Option 437: Soft rear windows, Targas

Registry member No.773

911T1971: Thank you for reposting this document.

Do you know which specific market this ordering price/option list is for? I have only been aware of Porsche using the 4 digit codes on COA/kardex but haven't seen the 3 digit [M?] codes used on older cars. Might you know if these numbers were specific to the dealer ordering of customer ordered cars? I also find it interesting that it would suggest that the SWT was a no cost option vs being the standard base model with the HWT being the no cost option [as I have understood things to be]. I will speculate that since this document appears to be specific to ordering the cars and the HWT/FWT was what the vast majority of customers desired, they set the HWT/FWT as the default order unless the customer specifically requested the SWT.

Your comments and clarifications appreciated. [I have an old hulk of a '71 SWT and a more than casual interest.]

John, above discussed pricelist is for US market (only), US dealer issued.

Three digit option codes were introduced in 1970 replacing the older four digit code.
    By 1969 the HWT was standard and the SWT went to be an option.

By 1968 the Soft Window Targa had problems with the US dot which declared it a safety hasard and mandated no rear seats for US market Soft Window. Also, the vinyl roof always had problems with water/rain and cold/hot weather, clients couldnt open or closed it under changing weather conditions..the fixed window Targa HWT was the solution and went into being the standard equipment.
    Registry member No.773

911T1971: Appreciate that.

It would seem that most information out there agrees with your statement. However, I have gotten other information via Factory sources that indicate this may not be accurate. I have pursued every source possible as I have tried to figure out my specific 1971 car. also, there are other small things that relate to the SWT that I haven't seen discussed. For example- to the best of my knowledge all 911s of this period, except perhaps race cars, came with some version of the rear window defroster. A quick glance at the dash to see if there is a defroster switch or not gives a good hint how a specific Targa came from the Factory! Yet, I have never seen that mentioned. [So I"m bringing this up now. ]

My SWT build info was sourced via another country where they contact a friendly dealer who then is able to access build info. It's given in 4 digit- not 3 digit -codes for my 1971MY [go figure]. One still has to be a detective to understand other aspects of the build data as they don't go into much detail. This also makes me wonder about the heavy hand of PCNA and the fuss we go through through vs certain other countries [NO- I cannot be specific as I promised my source. I hesitate to mention this as some heavy handed official might put the squash on this.] I am grateful that I got direct information instead of playing games with PCNA for what might amount to a guessing game. It's a shame that PCNA COA's have been so erratic and unreliable as their presentation format has the potential to provide more detailed information - if only they were accurate!] This still amounts to a lot of unanswered questions but we are only dealing with a handful of 911s and I doubt we will ever have absolute clarity. From what I have experienced the few owners of these are "collectors" and aren't interested in figuring information like this out as long as they have confirmation that theirs is a genuine collector car.. sigh. One of the joys of playing with old Porsches has always been figuring out what they really did vs what the Factory stated.

Also, my understanding is that per agreement with D.O.T. all USA SWT 911s from 1968 on were equipped with rear luggage compartments vs rear jump seats. I suspect the confusion over this is that ROW SWT did not have this D.O.T. requirement and many were imported during the years that the dollar was vastly stronger. Although importation requirements should have dictated full D.O.T. compliance the process was not well enforced. I would ask anyone stating their car was an original 1968+ SWT for clarification about which market the car was built for to better understand the situation. A simple "my 1969 SWT has rear seats" is meaningless without further details.

BTW, I drove my first Targa in 1968 and it was one of the very first FWT/HWT. That glass rear window transformed the car for serious driving. Yes, it added weight exactly where you didn't want it but it also made the chassis notably stiffer. Every Porsche enthusiast I met back then seemed enthralled with the upgrade. You could cruise at 130 with the windows up, top off, and it was incredibly comfortable compared to any open car in existence at that time. Visibility was also fantastic and people who love coupes could still learn a few things about keeping track of what's behind you [re: our trooper friends in particular]. Now that we don't drive the stuffings out of these cars and tend to view them as great sunny day cruisers instead of attacking every corner at high revs, the charm of the more open cars is obvious. What goes around....

Perhaps I should start a new discussion specific to the 1970-72 SWT cars, as this is probably a distraction to the 1969 SWT theme.

Great infos John. Of when i wasnt even born yet ;-)
    Agree to all above. Of what is clear is that by 1970 and especially 1971, any SWT was a rare car.
    I recall a few are documented, of 1971 i know a single one, Germany i think. There is a pic on this registry.

Btw I once read the reason why the Targa continued to have triangle side windows even those were abandoned on Coupe's after 1968 was that the HWT had problems with mist and humidity on front windows. Reason also why three opening bars were introduced on the Targa hoop, once the HWT was an option.
    Cant proove/find the source anymore but only logical explaination why Targa continued with this theft and safety hasard detail..i guess needed to have less humidity in the Targa model.
    Registry member No.773

1970 SWT photo...

In this factory period photo thread:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post903642
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624