Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

928cs,

I have taken the summer off from working on my 911 projects, and instead have focused on building custom hunting rifles...a passion from my years in Alaska. In those days I spent much of the summer months getting ready for my annual backpack sheep hunt, poring over topo maps, talking with fish & game agents about winter sheep kill and other factors. Things like checking my favorite sheep rifle for accuracy at the range, gathering the latest light weight gear and getting myself and 2 sons in shape for a grueling 6000 ft climb to our favorite sheep camp site. Early this summer I talked with an Alaskan hunting guide and got infected with memories of all those summers in Alaska, and went to my gun safe to look at some of the rifles sitting quietly stored there. I haven't hunted since I left Alaska in '90, but the embers still smolder, and every once in awhile I think 'why not make one last sheep hunt in Alaska'? It isn't going to happen (most likely)...too old, too out of shape, too costly (must use a guide for 10 day sheep hunt...$18k). But that doesn't keep me from getting the bug to build another couple of light weight Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 or FN Mauser custom rifles.

I will be getting back into the 3.0 RS build soon. The time away has been good since my enthusiasm has been rejuvenated after going into my shop to assess the state of the project while also smiling with satisfaction at my Toad Hall ST. This has been a long-winded answer to your question, but it's what happens when another life passion gets stirred up in an old guy's brain.

One last bit of nostalgia...I just returned from the 50th reunion of my college graduation and homecoming weekend where I celebrated the 'good old days' with many fellow engineering grads. The pic shows three of us from the class of '66 who were inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in '94, and we swapped a few stories of how great we were...Ha.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 10-07-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib, another shared interest. Yours looks in better shape than mine. My Dad had it sporterized in Belgium right after WWII.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

I've hunted with three pre 64 model 70's 06, 270 & 300 H&H great rifles.

Rolly

Boba...is that a 7x57 or 8x57? Neat lookin' rifle.

Rolly....who knew... a Socal Porsche guy who likes to hunt.... Do your neighbors know...??

I too have hunted with a Pre 64 '06 and 270...and have custom 300 H&H in both pre 64 and FN Mauser but haven't hunted with either...yet...but who knows, are we too old now?

Here's a pre WWII M70 270 I built in a tiger striped maple stock. I really like the pre war M70s...built originally from '37-'41.

OK, Chuck...no more guns....back to 911s.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 10-08-2016 at 05:45 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Banned
    EZ guys...
    Chuck is getting a nervous twitch.

Hands up. Don't delete.

How about this? Dual .50 caldual 50 cal.jpg
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

OK....here are some of the pictures for the 3.0 RS project that keep me inspired...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

No worries, Gib.
    I don't hunt, but I like target shooting with my SSG69 or my 98k with a Zielsechs
    I would love to own a nice pre-64 Winchester 70.

Fall is finally coming to Arizona...a little rain, cloudy skies, beautiful sunsets. I just picked up the 77 WB from Stuttgart Southwest in Tempe after having the tranny rebuilt...to fix a noisy 4th gear. While in there, had them adjust the valves, and a few other minor things. It is the perfect time of year to go for a drive in a 911 without AC....and it will be like that for the next 7 months.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 11-22-2016 at 06:08 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Took a ride out in the desert this afternoon and came across this fairly large substation with some serious transmission lines surrounding it....
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 11-24-2016 at 08:25 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17