72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

I have a Dansk "dual in" single outlet sport muffler on the SC and it is by far the most tolerable of any I've owned while sounding great too.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Here is a shot of the 19 mm RSR sway bar and mounting hardware kit now being built by Tarett Engineering, which are very similar to the period RSR bars. I am using them on both front and rear of the 3.0 RS.

I went back to check a thread I began awhile back (2009) that told of Tarett Engineering's plans to make these RSR sway bar kits. It began when I encouraged Ira to consider building them, and showing him details of the lever arms I had made at my local welding shop for the Kremer ST project. I wanted to use Tarett hollow bars with my custom levers, and for him to supply the pillow blocks and drop link hardware...which he did.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-RSR-Sway-Bars

It is hard for me to believe it has been 7 years since this all happened. I think today these kits are very popular and one of Tarett's best selling kits. A pic of my custom built lever with Tarret mounting hardware on the Kremer ST is shown also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The 3.0L engine has plug wires....12 of 'em. It will be awhile before it sees fire though....

Designed to be between a 3.0 RS and IROC engine. It is still a street motor with higher compression (10.5), more air flow (bigger head ports, stack & throttle bodies), 6 more plugs, and more aggressive cams than the factory 3.0 RS engine. But it doesn't have the high butterfly injection, RSR cams, 43/43 ports, or the open megaphones of the 315 hp IROC engines. Still...this will be a fun engine for the street, and with about 9 lb/hp, it will provide plenty of smiles.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Nice engine.

When do you expect to have it into the car?

928cs,

I have been dragging my feet removing the suspension since I have some work I want to do on the 77 turbo-look front valence, and a few things on the LY ST. If I remove the suspension on the 3.0 RS, the lift will be tied up for quite awhile. So although I am blessed to have more than one car to work on...it does create priority issues at times. I plan to drive the 77 TL to the R Gruppe Treffen this year, so I need to get it ready. I am too old to try to jack it up and climb under it to do work. That's why man designed and builds lifts... So it will be awhile...probably fall before I get the engine in.

I took a few shots to remind myself how neat this car looks on the ground, even with a hiked up rear end, some AZ dust, and the wrong wheels.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

An article in the March 2011 Motor Trend compared the Carrera 2.7 RS with the Carrera 3.0 RS. The first part described the 2.7 RS (which we all know about) so here is the second half of the article describing the characteristics of the 3.0 RS. The article does a good job of making the comparison, and it makes a guy realize how special and rare the 3.0 RSs are.

Even though the pic shows the typical GP White 3.0 RS, a few of these special cars were Guards Red...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/1973-...carrera-rs-30/

1974 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 3.0

During that successful 1973 year, Porsche took the opportunity to develop an evolution of the RS 2.7, having now met stricter requirements of building 1000 road cars per year in line with Group 3 rules. Group 3 allowed a previously homologated car, such as the RS 2.7, to be homologated with just 100 examples built. Thus was born the RS 3.0 for the 1974 model year.

This version got what was essentially a detuned 3.0-liter RSR engine with an aluminum (rather than magnesium) crankcase and street exhaust fitted in place of the open racing unit. Cylinder heads were single-plug rather than the racing twin-plug type, and the compression ratio was given a significant bump over the outgoing 2.7’s 8.5:1 ratio, though it still runs on the equivilent of 93 octane U.S. pump gas. The brakes were huge four-piston aluminum units with drilled discs, lifted straight off the all-conquering 917, and the suspension was revised with RSR rear pick-up points allowing for more camber adjustment, even stiffer Bilsteins, and thicker diameter rear torsion bars. Power was channeled through a five-speed gearbox and limited-slip differential, and the fenders were widened even further to accommodate 8.0-inch wheels up front and 9.0-inchers in the rear. Bodywork featured the taller, larger bumpers introduced in all 1974 911s, while the front air dam was reworked, along with the new rear “tray”-style spoiler. Each RS 3.0 sold came with two rear spoilers: the road version fitted to the car at the time of sale, and a second, larger racing wing that wasn’t road-legal in Germany, as it overhung the rear bumper.

The car fires up with more aggression, and when moving, the reduced sound deadening reveals the machine-gun fire of gravel against undercarriage.

The new RS 3.0 was available only with what would have been considered lightweight interior trim, and because it incorporated so many trick racing components, the price was significantly higher than that of the outgoing RS 2.7. The advantage was that the cars were easier than ever to convert to full competition (RSR 3.0) spec should customers want to go racing, and in fact, 55 cars were built that way from the factory in 1974, making the RS 3.0 Porsche’s first scratch-built racing 911 that wasn’t based off another variant. A total of 109 RS 3.0s were built for 1974; the other 54 cars remained in RS trim. To put that production total in perspective, nearly 1600 RS 2.7s were built in total (roughly 200 of which had lightweight trim, including 49 cars converted to 2.8 RSR racing spec). The RS 3.0’s low production and higher-end specification was evident in its cost: roughly $25,000, when a year earlier, the RS 2.7 ran “just” $14,000. That there’s so much race car built into the road-going RS 3.0 is apparent as soon as you climb inside. The thin-gauge door swings open with almost no effort, but retains that solid 911 chuh-click when it’s shut. The tiny low-back, high-bolster RSR race seats take some effort to settle into, and once you’re there, you’ll notice lots of missing bits. The clock is replaced with a blanking plate (as is the radio); the door armrest is subbed with a plastic door pull from a Fiat 600 and a leather strap to operate the latch; and the glove box lid is missing altogether. Four-point belts attach themselves at one end to a factory-installed rollbar. The details all seem delicate, almost flimsy, but the controls are just the opposite. There isn’t nearly the user-friendly character to the 3.0 as in the 2.7. The clutch and gearshift are both burly things, and the new-for-1974 three-spoke steering wheel is a bit of a beast to turn at parking speeds.

The car fires up with more aggression, and when moving, the reduced sound deadening reveals the machine-gun fire of gravel against undercarriage. Running up through first and second gears, the car accelerates with ferocity* — though making only 20 hp and 14 lb-ft of torque more than the RS 2.7, the 3.0 feels significantly more powerful. There’s less body roll too, and it turns much more sharply — it’s an edgier car to drive by far.

By 3000 rpm, the engine is already pulling hard, and as the tachometer registers 5000 rpm, the car really reaches its element, with the hard-edged overtones found in all 911 racers. It’s louder than the 2.7, but you can leave your earplugs at home with the street exhaust fitted. Could you drive it cross-country? Racer-turned-writer Paul Frère did it back in 1974, traveling 1800 miles in Europe, including a 124-mph average on the autostrada between Milan and Turin.

So which early RS is the champ? As much of a driver’s car as the RS 2.7 is, it does come across as a slightly warmed-over 911 S. That’s not a bad thing, but the 3.0 is a greater leap — it just feels more special. To borrow a quote from a well-respected 911 loyalist, “The RS 2.7 is 80 percent 911 S. The RS 3.0 is 80 percent RSR.” Life’s too short to be practical.

1974 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA RS 3.0 SPECIFICATIONS:

Engine 182.7-cu-in/2994cc SOHC flat-6, Bosch mechanical fuel injection Power and torque DIN 230 hp @ 6200 rpm, 202 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm Drivetrain 5-speed manual, RWD Brakes front: vented, drilled disc, rear: vented, drilled disc Suspension front: struts, torsion bars, anti-roll bar; rear: semi-trailing arm, torsion bars, anti-roll bar Dimensions L: 167.0 in, W: 70.0 in, H: 52.0 in Weight 2112 lb Performance 0-60 mph: 5.2 sec, quarter mile: 14.0 sec @ 100 mph (Road & Track, October 1974) Price when new $25,000
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I have been asked numerous times about the flares, and how they are different from Turbo flares. This pic shows the wheel opening shapes and sizes which are eye-brow shaped and wider than Turbo flares with lips that are not squared up and symmetrical like the Turbo units. The rears have an unusual shape looking from the front or rear. The edges of the flares are not parallel to the body as they are on the turbo. The wheels in the pics are 225/15s on fake Fuchs, which help to show the wider width of the openings.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

No update?