Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Getty Design makes good replicas of original aluminum bumpers as well as R,RS,RSR and Ruf.

http://www.gettydesign.com/911_bumpers.php
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

928cs...I will keep the small washers on the bumper.

javadog....The front bumper came from TRE, and I am not sure who did the rear. Both fit well with the factory turbo flares, but required extensive work to match up with the period RSR flares. Both bumpers had to be shortened and the ends significantly modified to match the flares. I noticed there are a couple of rear qtrs like mine on ebay right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121539548617...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Progress is slow on the 3.0 RS right now, but a few things are happening. The spark wires, Bosch (now digital) CDI boxes, wiring harness from dizzy to CDI and rear transom mounted coils, and Partsklassik coils are on their way from Partsklassik in Flagstaff. Also, the RSR type sway bars and rubber bushings for A arms, rear spring plates, and trailing arms are coming from Tarett. I will modify the body and A arms to mount the front RSR sway bars.

I have been debating about the steering wheel... I really like the wheel that is on the car now...it has a little fatter grip than a Prototipo, and is the same diameter. The leather is very soft and provides a wonderful feel, and all the stitching is perfect, and it has an early type solid hub. The 3.0 RSs came with a stock 3 spoke factory wheel, probably the 'fat' version like the 74 2.7 Carreras, but those are hard to find, and a little boring for a street hot rod. A Prototipo doesn't seem right...a little too early 70s look, so I might just 'go home with the one I
    brung'.

Also, I found some license lights I like better than the plastic Hella lights that most of the restorations use...which are not the same as used on the original cars. The original lights stand a little taller from the bumper, and the ones I found are made of metal and just seem closer to the originals...which are NLA from Hella. Plus, these are not nearly as fragile as the modern plastic Hella lights. (Last photo show the Hellas. They don't look much different in the photos, but the current lights are about 3/8" taller, and have a more robust and higher quality look to them on the car.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    ......I noticed there are a couple of rear qtrs like mine on ebay right now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121539548617...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Thanks for the link Gib, a little out of my league but I've stolen the photos for future reference.....you never know when I might want my flares to match my waistline!

Enjoying following your progress and looking forward to seeing this baby finished.......and btw, I agree about the steering wheel, looks groovy!

Darren,

As you get older...wider hips just seem to come along with the territory.

You might want to check with EB Motorsports to inquire about their RSR steel flares. I saw a set at the Tarett Engineering booth at RRV that looked exactly like my factory RSR flares...very nicely done. I don't see them on their web site, so you will need to check with them via email or phone.

The neat thing about wider hips is that you get to use wider wheels/tires, which gives any hotrod a stronger look for sure. Since you opted for the narrow hips, you will just have to do another project...maybe a short hood like this 3.0 RS.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Did you buy one of these yet?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

And, of course, THIS!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Did you buy one of these yet?
    Tom,

No, I have stayed close to the stock version of the 3.0 MFI engine that came with the originals. But I have opted to go with twin plugs, for better combustion and the cool factor.

Here are the Partsklassik digital CDI boxes with 7300 rpm rev limits built in, and a pair of their new coils which give quite a bit more spark energy. With the lousy gas these days, we need all the help we can get to make an engine run good.

Still haven't dropped all the suspension yet...too much ranch work getting in the way.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I like it.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Rec'd a Dansk sport muffler today...based on fellow R Grupper and 3.0 MFI engine builder Jeff Higgens' recommendations. Here are his comments from a thread on Pelican discussing best mufflers for a 3.0L engine.

"I have found that the very best muffler for power on my 3.0 liter, high compression, twin plugged, MFI inducted motor is the Dansk single out sport muffler. Nothing beats it in the rpm range in which we seek power on a street motor. I've run at least a dozen exhaust configurations on this motor, dyno testing all of them, and the SSI / Dansk single out is the clear winner.

I really want to like the M&K's. Stainless steel, light weight, superbly crafted, and great sound. I have run the two out sport, the RSR style, and the track shorties. Each and every one of them lost ten horsepower or more, with a similar drop in torque over the single out Dansk.

The closest I've come to matching (not beating) the single out Dansk is with a home-made Magnaflow two in two out. It's lighter, way cheaper, and much louder, but it was a wash power-wise.

So, if you want relatively quiet, good quality, good looks, and the stock outlet location, you can't beat the Dansk single out sport."

It looks like a high quality product, and fits the header extensions just right. I like the size of the exhaust horn and that it is chrome plated. It looks to be made for a 3.0L hot rod engine.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17