Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9114400120 - Skittles - Here we go again

9114400120 - Skittles - Here we go again

I thought Schtroumpf would be my last early 911 project…

Link to Schtroumpf build on PP Forum

Built to my ultimate spec, and a so-called “dead man’s” car, meaning I’d own it until I died, and since it was to my exact spec I wouldn't need or want any other early 911… Famous last words I guess…

While we were working out the final snag list on Schtroumpf, I kept seeing 1974 2.7 RoW and US spec Carreras for sale… I have always thought the MFI cars were undervalued compared to the 1973 RS… Especially the ones built early in 1973 while the factory used up all the leftover RS parts that they could, including the tunnel chassis brace, the rear flares, the duck tails and even some of the early gauges…

Without getting into too much dialog or “dialogue” depending on where and which side of the ocean you are living in (I tend to default to whatever laptop default I’m working on and it’s autocorrect)… The 2.7 MFI Carrera basically has the same performance and driving characteristics as a 1973 RS, so in theory, should be a magical car to drive and indicative of the pinnacle of the NA cars in their “sports” oriented guise - or so my thinking went… It was just thinking, as I had never owned a 1974 - 1976 2.7 MFI impact bumper car…

I went to see and drive several for sale in the UK and the EU… They all varied in price from about 150k USD GBP to 400k USD, and varied in condition, from being in need of full restoration, badly restored heavily previously “beat up” cars, to really good and expensive restorations…

At the same time, I was also considering a couple of 1970 - 1973 911 narrow bodied S cars, as I just can’t seem to not “look”... I think I might need to see a doctor about this disease…

After several months of looking and driving many examples, I settled on the fact I would look for an early 1974 2.7 MFI Carrera in one of the more rare colors - like Jade Green, Light (Birch) Green, Fraise (Rose) Red, Gulf or Mexico Blue, and if one turned up at the right price, I would go ahead… I made a few offers on a few cars that I thought were good candidates, but a deal never materialized… All while the little voice in my head kept telling me I didn’t need another 911 and to just be happy with Schtroumpf…

Then I saw a Light Green (code 253) US spec car for sale not too far away from me in the UK… Great color, but US “wrong” spec, and a previous owner had already done a bare metal respray, rebuilt the engine (with RS pistons and cylinders, E cams and Weber 40s), and rebuilt the gearbox… But had also made some questionable (in my mind) changes… early style seats, changed the windshield washer system to an SWB style set up, and the work wasn’t to the best standard, and ran rich and needed some tuning to run right… It was a numbers matching and a September 1973 build, but it was a US car, so I passed… While home later that evening, I just couldn’t get the the color out of my head… I loved it… So, as I imagine some folks reading this might do, I did some rationalizing that if I could buy it at the right price, I could just convert the engine to a 2.7 MFI spec, and have basically the same car, the way the factory “intended” the car to be without the US CIS spec engine… I know, it would no longer be original, but all the mods would be reversible, and give me a cool early build 1974 Carrera in a color I loved, with a 2.7 MFI spec engine to drive, and not feel so worried about… A true driver…

I made an offer, and… But, we couldn’t come to a deal… I kept looking, but nothing else showed up in a color I was interested in… Then about 9 months later, a friend sent me a link to a light green US carrera for sale in the UK… It was the same car for sale again… The gentleman that had bought the car, had driven her very little, struggled tuning the engine - electrical and carbs - had replaced the replica early seats with better quality replica early sport seats from D’eser in black leatherette and corduroy, and done a few cosmetic things… He liked 356s and older cars, and had decided it wasn’t for him… I went to see the car, and fortunately took my wife with me… When she smiled and gave me “the nod” on color, we made a deal that day… My wife loves to nickname cars, and on the way home, had decided this car would be called Skittles…

And so the journey begins...

Some photos from 2 previous owners as posted for sale...

1973-porsche-911-64fda3d57b0c0.jpg

1973-porsche-911-64fda3d57b3b0.jpg

1973-porsche-911-Early Deser Seats.jpg

1973-porsche-911-64fda3d57c190.jpg

And at home in the garage...

Skittles Back Garage.jpg

Last edited by dwa911; 02-25-2024 at 05:42 AM.
    first ride - 10 yrs old in a 73 911S - Silver - I was done for
    Started 'playing' with them in the late 80s
    Started racing a 72 911 T built to 2.9L RSR in SoCal SCCA, PCA, POC early 90s
    Have owned over 50 long hoods from late 80s until 2000
    dropped out from 2000 - 2018 - due to life, work, travel
    Been building a 2.8 'RSR' inspired car since 2018 - 9111121235
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1121235-a.html

Nice story. I am a fan of the skiddles colors also. Drive and enjoy.

Thanks Rick! I want to turn it into a 2.7 MFI, so will be rebuilding engine over winter... since i'm in there, gearbox synchros and whatever else I find that needs replacing... The goal is to make it have it mechanically sound, and fixing a few things that just "bug"... E.g. the wrong and cracked dash, the windshield washing system, the wrong style seats, etc... Here we go again...

Over here in Other Porsche Passions now. I, too, love this period of bright colors. When I bought my car, I had also been looking at a ‘74 911 in Gulf Blue.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Great story! I'm curious if you looked at this one that was for sale at Border Reivers and if so, what was your impression? It seemed like a lot of car at the time.

https://borderreivers.co/portfolio/p...-2-7-mfi-1974/

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

About 10-15 years ago I had a 77 3.0 Euro Carrera and rebuilt the motor to 3.0 RS spec with MFI, fun job if you,have gathered all the parts.

Mike, do you know the price of the car at border rivers ?

thanks for the move Peter. I wasn't sure where to post it... I love Gulf Blue... My first 911 S was a 1973 painted Gulf Blue - although it was originally Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Over here in Other Porsche Passions now. I, too, love this period of bright colors. When I bought my car, I had also been looking at a ‘74 911 in Gulf Blue.

Smile

ibmiked - I didn't fly to look at it... from the pictures, I could see things that I personally would want/need to change, and for the price of a restored car, it wouldn't make fiscal sense... E.g. the dash is incorrect, the door paint tag has a "27" in it, which isn't the paint code for licht grun (light green/birch green)... the correct code is 253... The only 1975 paint codes that I know of that have a "27" are 027 - India/Guards Red or 227 Jade Green... The Carrera tag on the duck tail is in the wrong place (easily fixed), the car has a replica duck tail, as 1975 cars came with "whale tails", the wheels are painted to match (incorrect, but kind of nice), etc...

What I liked about the US car I bought, and what helped me rationalise buying it... It was an early 1974, so built in September 1973 with some RS carry overs that the 1975 cars don't have, like the chassis tunnel reinforcement, and an original duck tail... It also was chrome trim not black, which I prefer, it had original 6s and 7s, which I prefer on these cars over the 7s and 8s (also easily fixed), it has manual windows, which is rare - almost all coupe versions of the Carrera had electric windows, and it has no sunroof... And, the price was right for me to buy, do the upgrades I want, and keep a driver that I'm not afraid to drive hard...

But the Rock car looks fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Great story! I'm curious if you looked at this one that was for sale at Border Reivers and if so, what was your impression? It seemed like a lot of car at the time.

https://borderreivers.co/portfolio/p...-2-7-mfi-1974/

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

Rick, that is on my list of wouldn't it be interesting to... How did you like it? It is pretty easy to gather all the right original or replica MFI parts these days from Mittelmotor... If I was restoring an RS or RoW 2.7 Carrera, I would use original, but for a US spec 2.7 or C3.0 conversion, replica are fine for me... That is what I will be using for Skittles

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    About 10-15 years ago I had a 77 3.0 Euro Carrera and rebuilt the motor to 3.0 RS spec with MFI, fun job if you,have gathered all the parts.