Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

I have never seen an original early 911 kit with "non-machined" DFS wrenches. Not to say absolutely that it couldn't have happened, but I've never run across one and I've been looking.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    I have never seen an original early 911 kit with "non-machined" DFS wrenches. Not to say absolutely that it couldn't have happened, but I've never run across one and I've been looking.
    Well Dave that's really good info. BUT, then when do yout think the other two versions appeared....there are A LOT of 'em? Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    And I completely agree, and I've got/had a LOT of toolkits...., can't tell you the cutoff. Imho, two things happened: 1) I found a couple of the last iteration mentioned with a factory parts sticker on it many years ago at the LA lit meet, so I think the latest version was a tool bin item from Porsche for a few years 2) As the prices have started to rise on these items, sources for these parts (and others like Hapewe pliers) started to find their way into our lives. After a while unless some of us older guys truly raise a stink these items then become "standard knowledge", and we're poorer for it as the knowledge and originality becomes diluted. Truly a "first world" issue, but to some of us it does matter (a bit...).

cheers,
    E
    Thanks Eric for this confirming info. on the Large Font DFS with machined ends. I too have had a lot, 25+ of toolkits (have about six 911 kits right now). I have to admit I've not paid close enough attention to which kits the other two types of DFS came with but ALL the kits I've purchased have been for pre-1974 Porsches and it is true that fewer than, say, ~10% of my wrenches have non-machined ends BUT they do exist and I don't believe they came in post 1973 kits. That being said, I think we're all "on the same page." Thanks!

-Allen-

Porsche Travel Kits

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    original owner kit that started life as 912 type. the son of the original owner couldn't remember if the car was a '68 or '69. dad apparently had both. I sold off the 912 stuff & replaced that w/ 911 type.
    kit appears to have lived it's entire life in the closet. the vinyl looks like it was made yesterday. plating on the OG tools & clasps is as close to perfect as one may ever see. I added the towel.
    data points which may be interesting;
    smooth bag
    10,000 volt screwdrivers
    DFS wrenches
    I just recently purchased a second travel kit (901 721 905 00) and it has a shop towel in it. However, it also has a couple items in it that I know didn't come with the kit. So, I started thinking more about if a Shop Towel came with a 911 travel kit; we, more or less, established a towel did NOT come with toolkits. So, I surfed around and actually did not find too much info on Travel Kits (maybe we should have dedicated pinned thread as there we LOTS of varieties of these kits) Anyway, I found a referenece that stated the contents of the Travelling (actually they are so labelled) Kit in the Picture Parts book. So I looked in my hard copy of the book (updated to 3/69) and, unless I overlooked it, there is NO shop Towel listed with any of the kits and the list looks VERY detailed and complete; even breaking down the contents for different kits of different model 911s. I DID SEE the Towel mentioned though for the 356 travel kits. Comments? Thanks!

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 09-06-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Hi,
    just a little help about two DFS that I have.
    Is the bottom one a machined one ?
    If so, being it a 17-19 mm instead of 18-19, can tell us something about the production year?

Thanks
    Attachment 348070

@allen .. .
    just in quick . . i do have the old pages,and content from the catalogue for a 912 travelkit,
    but the towel - putzlappen - is mentioned, on the pic and I guess it was in it . .
    Last edited by haul; 09-07-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Does the catalogue in the picture have a date? Maybe I missed it?

Sorry:
    Image is from the catalogue July 1966 . .
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

http://www.356tools.com/travelkits.htm
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by fgmec View Post
    Hi,
    just a little help about two DFS that I have.
    Is the bottom one a machined one ?
    If so, being it a 17-19 mm instead of 18-19, can tell us something about the production year?

Thanks
    Attachment 348070
    There should be NO 18/19 mm wrench in 911 kits. The wrench should be 17/19mm. Grazie !

-Allen-