Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Two textured bags with rivet dlasps, a linen texture bag and a ribbed texture bag. Were the two textures made at the same time? There are a lot of nuances in these bags that need documentation. Owners manual and Messko pouches need better documentation also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 66S; 12-25-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Unusual tabbed bag

Personally, I've not well-sorted most bags by year other than: the "901 tabbed bag," "Elephant hide" '68 bag and LWB "waffle," and '73.5 tie and/or snap bags.
    Anyway, here's one to REALLY muddy the water: a tabbed two-tone bag for sale elsewhere. I've NEVER seen a bag like this. Anyone have one like it?! What I've seen several times is a the heavy shinny and smooth vinyl two-tone tabbed bag; not a thinner patterned bag like this.

Bottom photo is the 901/early 911 bag I've seen several times with different cars. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 10-03-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Since we're on the subject of tool bags, here is my red liner 66 bag and an odd smooth vinyl with green liner.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

10,000 volt screwdrivers

Regarding 10,000 volt screwdrivers, earlier in this thread, I posted that 10,000 volt drivers were widely available in Germany. Here is a photo from an eBay seller that says ALL of these are labeled 10,000 volts and are for sale in a lot ! I wonder why? Probably because I don't believe ANY of them are original to Porsche toolkits. Thanks.
    -Allen-

Open End Wrenches thru the years

Tool geeks,

Here are my guesses of the progression of 911 (and late 356) wrenches thru the years. Please give us your input !
    1964-1973? : Drop Forged, large font, found in late 356 an early 911 (SWB and up) kits. These had machined ends. Believe some of these found in MUCH later kits
    1969-1972: Drop Forged, small font, with machined ends, guessing around 1969 to 1972 (see above too)
    Circa 1972: Drop Forged, small font, with non-machined ends
    1972-1973: Selected Steel
    1973, late: Selected Special Steel.

Sorry for the POOR finishes on some of the wrenches. Just for clarity: they should all be "shinny."

Note: VERY uncertain of dates for smaller font and SS and SSS. PLEASE supply your input ! Thanks!

-Allen-

PS Wish photos would show up in the order they are uploaded !!
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 06-20-2015 at 09:56 PM.

I know there is a difference between early and late with the pin length. Will either wrench work in either situation? Or will the pins literally be too short or long to work in different situations?

Quote Originally Posted by uninshop View Post
    I know there is a difference between early and late with the pin length. Will either wrench work in either situation? Or will the pins literally be too short or long to work in different situations?
    Guessing you are asking about the P208? Yes, the longer, later, (sorry for poor photo with just one of two pins showing) pin version is for later cars such as the SC. The later cars had a thicker pulley on the alternator (anyone know when the thicker pulley started?) and required the longer pin version P208 to engage the pulley holding holes. Thanks.

-Allen-

DFS Wrench madness

Tool geeks,

I indavertantly mislabled some of the wrenches and have come to realize there are three types of Drop Forged Steel (DFS) wrenches. The earliest are the Large Font with machined ends.
    Next came, I believe, the Large Font with non-machined ends AND a somewhat more shinny finish (guessing 1969 to 1972). Finally we have the similar looking DFS Small Font version with the same shinny finish and non-machined ends. I apologize for my mistake that a wrench that was given to me was replated as since that time a found another one which was identical. Thanks.

Edit.: Fourth kind of DFS: small font with machined ends. From post #75 in this thread !!

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 09-07-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Tool geeks,

I indavertantly mislabled some of the wrenches and have come to realize there are three types of Drop Forged Steel (DFS) wrenches. The earliest are the Large Font with machined ends.
    Next came, I believe, the Large Font with non-machined ends AND a somewhat more shinny finish (guessing 1969 to 1972). Finally we have the similar looking DFS Small Font version with the same shinny finish and non-machined ends. I appoligize for my mistake that a wrench that was given to me was replated as since that time a found another one which was identical. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Interesting. As a point of reference, I have both original tool kits for my one-owner 1969 911S and my one-owner 1971 911E and both have the large font DFS wrenches with the machined ends. In addition, when I brought my 72T back from Italy and began prepping it for paint, I found an old, dirty paper bag tucked up in front of the spare tire. When I opened it, I found some old bulbs, a receipt from an auto parts store in Milan dated 1974, a 10,000v screwdriver, and three correct DFS wrenches all large font with machined ends. My guess is that these types of wrenches may have continued well into the LWB cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Interesting. As a point of reference, I have both original tool kits for my one-owner 1969 911S and my one-owner 1971 911E and both have the large font DFS wrenches with the machined ends. In addition, when I brought my 72T back from Italy and began prepping it for paint, I found an old, dirty paper bag tucked up in front of the spare tire. When I opened it, I found some old bulbs, a receipt from an auto parts store in Milan dated 1974, a 10,000v screwdriver, and three correct DFS wrenches all large font with machined ends. My guess is that these types of wrenches may have continued well into the LWB cars.
    Good info and I'll not argue with that ! I guess we can say the Large Font DFS with machined ends are the "gold standard" and are a safe bet that would be hard to debate with up to and including 1971 LWB cars. Not, though to exclude the other two types which may have started to appear in ktis around the same time. Produciton volumes were up and more toolkits were needed. By 1973 we say, for sure Selected Steel and I'm pretty sure Special Selected Steel too. Thanks !

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 09-05-2015 at 06:15 PM.