Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Another view of the screwdriver. Also, it is much darker than the other LWB screwdrivers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Thats a 69, early 70 maybe screwdriver with the bulbous end and darker color

OK, time to chime in. I just purchased two 10,000 volt screwdrivers (one Philips, one flat blade) from a guy on ebay. upon receiving the I compared them to my screwdrivers that came with my 1971 914-6, I'm the Original Owner so I know their origin. The newly acquired screwdrivers differ in a few details (#2 & #4 in the last photo). Specifically the color, the flutes cut in the body and the crown is also slightly different. Has anyone seen these before? Original or reproduction?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernd Buschen
    R Gruppe # 357
    71' 914-6 Original Owner
    70' 914-6 GT Stoddard Built
    69' 911E Scott's car
    70' 914-6 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie B View Post
    OK, time to chime in. I just purchased two 10,000 volt screwdrivers (one Philips, one flat blade) from a guy on ebay. upon receiving the I compared them to my screwdrivers that came with my 1971 914-6, I'm the Original Owner so I know their origin. The newly acquired screwdrivers differ in a few details (#2 & #4 in the last photo). Specifically the color, the flutes cut in the body and the crown is also slightly different. Has anyone seen these before? Original or reproduction?
    Yes, I've seen, and have, variations of 10,000 Volt screwdrivers. Some may have detected, although I have some pedant tendencies, I'm not a "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" type guy. Regarding toolkits, some things are (to use another cliche) "close enough for government work." 10,000 volt screwdrivers were not unique to Porsche. Back in the day, and maybe still today, manufacturers printed the voltage level the insulated handle could withstand. That is if you touched the tip, say, of the screwdriver to a 10,000 volt line, presumably you would not be electrocuted. Although I work in Silicon Valley, I never tried it. It may be, in fact, that the early in Porsche kit 10,000 volt drivers were darker and color and flutes changed over time.

There were minor variations in most of the tools over time. For example the place the part numbers were stamped, when they were, varied, as we discussed the finishes varied slightly from manufacturing lot to lot. Especially after, at least, 40+ years, it is virtually impossible to difinitely state what exact version of a tool, with very small differences, was used in what year kit. However, we have excellent data, just from the sheer number of "samples," of what tools were in what kits of the years and with a somewhat less specificity what bags were used.

All the above, as always, IMHO. Anyway, it is fun to see and learn about these variations. Like the machined versus cast ends on the Drop Forged Wrenches, I'm always learning. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 03-01-2015 at 02:56 PM.

We see from the Tool collector in The NL a collection of seven spark plug wrenches. The two on the left are so-called 73.5 ones with tapered tops, one slightly different length than the other. The springy versions are NOT from longhood 911s but later models, not sure when those surfaced as the writer's memory stops at 1973 Thanks.

-Allen-

Hello Allen,

Why is every single spark plug wrench different in size ... overall size as size of the top of the wrench... ( the other one's are from 74-77 except the right one.. that Sc / 3.2 )

Quote Originally Posted by m.vanderweerd-collector View Post
    Hello Allen,

Why is every single spark plug wrench different in size ... overall size as size of the top of the wrench... ( the other one's are from 74-77 except the right one.. that Sc / 3.2 )
    Hum, looks like it might be the springs as I see they are wound/expanded differently, maybe from use. Pull them apart and measure them and I bet they'll be pretty close. But, no accounting for those post 1973 spark plug wrenches ! Thanks.

-Allen-

I've never seen the spark plug wrenches with the spring in original toolkits for the 1974, 1975 or 1976 model year (including very late production 1976 911s). I'm not sure when they introduced those.

Another variation: I've also seen the "KLEIN 21" marking upside down on the early style spark plug wrenches.
    1974 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1975 Turbo 3.0 | 1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI Sondermodell | 2012 Cayenne S
    GONE >> 1975 Carrera 2.7 MFI | 1977 Turbo 3.0 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 | 2004 GT3

The 73.5 kit has the solid spark plug wrench.. the gray basket wave have a spark plug wrench with spring ..